Scribe Line Cutting

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Scribe Line Cutting

Postby Poonz » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Anyone ever run into this issue?

I'm using new Rotec sleeves and for some reason when I'm cutting through the backing with the scribe line as my guide, my knife keeps slipping out of the scribe lines. It's damaging the sleeve and making it very hard to mount.

I'm attempting to make the scribe lines deeper but, it's not really making it work any better.

Anyone have any tips?
Poonz

Re: Scribe Line Cutting

Postby longtimefan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:19 pm

I've used a new Dr blade lined up to scribe.. Lined up and taped on edges... Then a sharp razor little by little maker scribe
longtimefan

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Press hard
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:40 am

I wrote from my phone, yesterday. Allow me to say a little more:

With composite surfaces, pressing hard may not be an option. Any little twist with the blade tip and it may find its own path, outside of the scribe.

There's a simple device I saw years ago that was for cutting the tape without cutting the sleeve. It looked like a length of angle-iron, engineered so that laying the leading edge of it on the scribe and cutting the tape while it lays on the device allowed you to cut the tape above the sleeve surface and then lay it down and it would end precisely at the scribe line.

That was a challenge to describe. I'll see if I can find it.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Fuzz » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:45 pm

I believe the key here is to always use a new sharp blade.
Fuzz

Postby longtimefan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:57 am

Fuzz wrote:I believe the key here is to always use a new sharp blade.

Yes!

I have used the exacto type
longtimefan

Postby Poonz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:55 am

What I ended up doing was putting my backing on there then removing the cover so I could place my ruler on the backing lined up with the scribe line. Using the ruler to keep it straight allowed me to keep the blade in the line. I am curious about this tool.
Poonz

Postby timer1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Take a new razor blade and hold it at a 45 and score across a scrap piece of steel or if you have steel or chrome cylinders, use the scribe line. You want to remove the point of the blade. Now clean up the bur that will be made, either using a file or move the razor blade in the other direction. This will run nicely in the scribe line of the sleeve. You can turn it left or right to create a tighter or looser gap. Or try those retractable ceramic safety blades. Those do not have a sharp point and will follow the scribe line as well.
Tim
timer1

Postby Billyboy2 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 am

We also use the rotec sleeves but we don't use the scribe line to cut, it's just not deep enough.. It's more like a guide line than a scribe line. What we do is wrap the sleeve with tape and overlap at both edges. Then use a rotary cuter and cut at a 45 degree angle both layers...The rotary cutter barely leaves a mark on the sleeve !!
Billyboy2

Return to Prepress