2K Varnish / Ethyl Acetate / Digital Flexo Plates

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

2K Varnish / Ethyl Acetate / Digital Flexo Plates

Postby potti » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 am

My customer need to run 2k varnish for a job, which require 100 % delution with Ethyl Acetate as recommended by Sunchemical. Which Digital flexo plate is suitable for this project. As far as I know, flexo plates can resist upto 20% Ethyl acetate concentration only. Can any one help?
potti

Re: 2K Varnish / Ethyl Acetate / Digital Flexo Plates

Postby SknyRussianHillbilly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

potti wrote:My customer need to run 2k varnish for a job, which require 100 % delution with Ethyl Acetate as recommended by Sunchemical. Which Digital flexo plate is suitable for this project. As far as I know, flexo plates can resist upto 20% Ethyl acetate concentration only. Can any one help?

I do not know of any digitally imaged flexo plate that will not have a reduced lifespan using inks that are thinned with 100% ethyl acetate. If your run lengh is short enough, maybe you can get away with it.

You can find liquid polymer plates that will tolerate acetates well, but have a low tolerance for alcohols. As far as I know all these plates are made only from negatives and probably will not yeild the resolution or caliper that you get from sheet photopolymer.

Bill
SknyRussianHillbilly

Postby potti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:34 am

I do not know of any digitally imaged flexo plate that will not have a reduced lifespan using inks that are thinned with 100% ethyl acetate. If your run lengh is short enough, maybe you can get away with it.

You can find liquid polymer plates that will tolerate acetates well, but have a low tolerance for alcohols. As far as I know all these plates are made only from negatives and probably will not yeild the resolution or caliper that you get from sheet photopolymer.

Bill[/quote]

Thanks Bill ! That information is helpful. Acutally this is a bulk job.
potti

Postby SknyRussianHillbilly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 am

Another thought I had.

You could consider engraved rubber for a pattern, or a tint roller if it is full coverage.

You will need to discuss the specific compound to be used with either component provider.

Bill
SknyRussianHillbilly

Postby exflexo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:12 pm

You'll need to go with a water wash flexo plate. You can expose it with regular equipment and process it in a sink with a scrub brush by hand. Not a great way to do it.. but it works in a pinch.
exflexo

Return to Prepress