MacDermid LUX Webinar, 3/30/11

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

MacDermid LUX Webinar, 3/30/11

Postby NarrowWebGuy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:02 am

Hi all,

I know it's a bit late to post this, but MacDermid is hosting a live webinar this afternoon (March 30, 2011) to discuss LUX plate technology. If you're interested, here's a link to registration and a brief description:

--

When: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 2 p.m. EDT
Presenter: Timothy Gotsick, Ph.D., Global Director of Innovation, MacDermid Printing Solutions

This presentation discusses MacDermid's new LUX Plate Processing Technology and how the flat-top dot geometry produced by the LUX Process enables better flexo print. By reviewing actual print results in a variety of market segments, the audience will come away with a better understanding of how the LUX process can improve their results quickly and cost-effectively. In addition, tradeshops will learn more about how the LUX Process can easily fit into their existing digital pre-press workflows, with no changes required to their image-setting hardware or pre-press software.

Timothy Gotsick, Ph.D., is the Global Director of Innovation at MacDermid Printing Solutions, where he is responsible for new product and application development. He joined MacDermid Printing Solutions in 2003, and his group has created a completely new portfolio of photopolymer products and flexo processing equipment in recent years. Currently, he and his Application Development team are focused on expanding the use of LUX technology to help printers increase their competitiveness.

Register here:

http://www.flexoglobal.com/webinars/web ... mid-01.htm
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
- Kurt Vonnegut
NarrowWebGuy

Re: MacDermid LUX Webinar, 3/30/11

Postby NarrowWebGuy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 am

In case you missed it, a recording of the LUX presentation can be found here:

http://www.flexoglobal.com/webinars/Mac ... 20LUX.html
I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
- Kurt Vonnegut
NarrowWebGuy

Postby Fuzz » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 am

Hi NarrowWebGuy, I'm curious, are you a printer? Do you currently use the LUX system? If so, do you use a solvent or thermal wash. Do you think the printed results are better then conventional digital plates?
Fuzz

Postby NarrowWebGuy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:29 pm

No, I work for MacDermid in business development for narrow web products. Since this is a public forum, I'll try and give you my personal viewpoint rather than just the company line, but I guess I do have bias. So take this reply for what it's worth. :)

In my experience, printers can be pretty quick to judge the value of new technologies----whether it's a new elastomer, surface treatment, or exposure & screening adjustments, it's a pretty simple to see the printed result. Regardless of what the new technology is, they really just want to know how it impacts their system. For example, a screened-solid (like Esko's MicroCell) may work really great for one printer (film/foil printing, for example), and not really have much impact for another (rough paperboard, maybe).* So, printers have a healthy amount of skepticism when it comes to blanket statements regarding quality of improvements of new technologies.

To date, I have heard several printers comment that the printed results are better and more consistent than with conventional digital plates. I haven't heard any comment that the printed results were not as good as conventional digital. So around here, there's a general impression that this technology can provide improvement. My experience is that the amount of benefit depends on your application, but there's enough evidence to show it's worth trying out to see for yourself.

Regarding the thermal or solvent question----we have lots of new data to share here, but it's going to have to wait a few weeks while we complete the analysis. Right now, LUX is commercialized as a solvent product, but not thermal.

Does that help?

* This is just an example, not my actual personal experience
- Kurt Vonnegut
NarrowWebGuy

Postby webchem » Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm

LUX is now officially commercial for use in solvent AND thermal systems, just so you know.

Full disclosure: I work for MacDermid Printing Solutions. Even so, the fact that LUX won both the 2011 FPPA Technology Innovator Award and the 2011 FTA Technology Innovation Award would seem to independently confirm my contention that you should try LUX, because it offers some real value in print.
webchem

Return to Prepress