Microcell vs DSP

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Microcell vs DSP

Postby budmancricket » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi all
Has anyone test the DSP plate? I heard a lot of good things about this plate, but i haven't tested it yet. I know for a fact that when using microcell it tend to slow down production a lot. Any info will be appreciate.Thanks
budmancricket

Re: Microcell vs DSP

Postby richflexo » Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 am

Hi, we are getting a case in after we run some final tests with the DPR and if we feel the need to (spend the extra money) go to the DSP we will but so far we are seeing very nice results with Pixel+ and DPR. The densities in the cyan benchmark run at about 1.6 with MCWSI (220 amplitude), 133lpi with 900 anilox, run at 300fpm-500fpm. If you're interested I can share more info, just PM me.

The marketing material for DSP looks great from Dupont but we were sold on DPR last year and all of a sudden they are flogging this new material; we can't keep up!

-richflexo
richflexo

Postby ljgoldberg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Sorry about my late reply. :)

If you are using MCWSI or other plate cell patterning techniques such as ESKO Pixel+ or Kodak DigiCap you can now eliminate the problems that you might have had while measuring them with the Betaflex PRO. The Version 4.0 software allows you to automatically measure "dots with spots" and correctly capture the entire ink-bearing area.

Version 4.0 is available as an upgrade at no cost to customers with Betaflex PRO instruments manufactured after Jan, 2017. Version 4.0 is included with all current Betaflex PRO devices.

If your Betaflex PRO was manufactured before Jan 2017, you may continue to use your current software, the latest version being 3.1.0.3. If you do not yet have the latest version of 3.x, please contact me to obtain the free upgrade. Please note the Version 3.x is now frozen; there will be no further upgrades or feature enhancements offered. It is now bug-free, but does not measure the surface screening technique mentioned here.

If you wish to upgrade to Version 4 with an older Betaflex PRO you must purchase a permanent software license. The cost is USD $1000, available from us or your local dealer. You'll need to provide the serial number of your Betaflex PRO in order to obtain the software license. Do NOT install Version 4 if you have not yet obtained the license. When you launch the application it will ask you for the License, if none is provided the application will close. If you want to run the older software, you'll need to re-install it.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Larry Goldberg
Technical Director
Beta Industries
707 Commercial Ave.
Carlstadt, New Jersey, 07072 USA
Tel 201-939-2400
Fax 201-939-7656
larry@betascreen.com
www.betascreen.com
ljgoldberg

Postby richflexo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 pm

How time flies...

Since that post in 2013, Dupont went from DPR (the best plate out), to Pixel + (the best screening out), to DSP plates (the next best plate)... to EASY plates which is now the latest and greatest.

Hard to keep up, considering now EASY has been out for 2 years now.... Waiting on THE NEXT PLATE.
richflexo

Postby KF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Hey RichFlexo,
What BCM are you running on the 900?
Regards,
KF
KF

Postby richflexo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi KF,

At that time the 900's for that particular customer were probably between 2.0-2.5. I work for a trade shop who supplies plates to printers so I can't remember what was being run at the time. I do know that most of our wide web guys use 1000-1500 with BCM's around 1.5-2.0 with our ESP or DSP plates today. Still getting very good densities but some still run the their old target densities of 1.3, 1.3, 1.0, 1.5 but DuPont tells us they should target 1.4, 1.4, 1.0, 1.7.
richflexo

Postby KF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks RichFlexo.
KF
KF

Return to Prepress