Looking for Good Barcode Software

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Looking for Good Barcode Software

Postby Newbie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Currently I am using BarCode Pro5 and not impressed anymore. The readability has been less than acceptable for a while now, especially for our Indigo digital press. Through many BWR trials I found what works (although not consistantly). We create various size and types of barcodes and one program I demo'ed showed better consistant results than our current but I want to hear what other people use and how they like it.

Postby exflexo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Have you tried changing the bar width reduction settings? Bar Code Pro is pretty much the defacto for creating bar codes and is extremely flexible. All it is really doing is creating the tiff or eps to your specs, so my educated guess is that you need to adjust the bar width reduction.

As far as consistency goes, I have yet to see Bar Code Pro NOT create a bar code to my exact specs every time. Any problems I have ever had in the past can usually be traced back to operator error (resizing incorrectly in Illustrator, low resolution file, wrong color, etc etc).

There is another program out there someplace called "Printbar", but it is based on a font utility, and in my opinion, not nearly as flexible as Bar Code Pro.
exflexo

Postby macmanpcg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 pm

MBC4 application and hard to make or create order from a company from Symbology (they turn around fast and are a pleasure to deal with). Barcode Pro is a good software too.
macmanpcg

Postby Newbie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 am

I have run many tests using different Bar Width Reductions on various size and types of barcodes with not too impressive results. Some of the barcodes we get from clients read better than what I produce and mine are for our specific output resolution. Unfortunately I have been unable to find out from them what their artists use.
Has anyone used BarcodeX?

Postby Snow » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey Newbie,
I think your troubles are not at barcode software. You Just need a good barcode scan analyser. As to getting a high level barcode, need many conditions, such as, BWR, scale, correct code, paper color, kind, left and right blank distance, etc.
The good scan analyser can determine which reasons your barcode can't pass the high level. According to this, I think you can find your solution.
BarCode Pro5 is good software, your troubles are not here.

Snow in SZ PRC.
How happy we are, to meet friends from afar!
Snow

Re: Looking for Good Barcode Software

Postby eskopdl » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

EskoArtwork has a bar code creator that is a plugin for Adobe Illustrator - Here's a link for more info - http://www.esko.com/web/site.aspx?p=382

peter
eskopdl

Re: Looking for Good Barcode Software

Postby tparker » Mon May 10, 2010 10:04 am

We use barX (a plug in for Illustrator) its the most efficient compared to Matthco and Bar CodePro because you create the file on top of the "FPO" so its easier to get size.
tparker

Return to Prepress