Kodak NXH plate

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Kodak NXH plate

Postby alanc1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 am

Has anyone tried this new plate ,
does anyone know much about it
they claim little to no plate gain, holding .4% dot, 1:1 reproduction of dots to plate, and up to 300 line screen
alanc1

Re: Kodak NXH plate

Postby exflexo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:26 pm

Kodak is a new player in digital flexo, and they have obviously come up with a "new idea" in flexo digital imaging in attempt to knock Esko off its stronghold in the market. Their idea is interesting... basically they do not ablate a mask that is already "attached" to the suface of a plate like the Esko imager does. Instead the Kodak imager ablates a separate mask that is then laminated to the plate material in a second step. Their claim is that they can get down to a 10 micron dot and that there dot is far more controllable than the dot produced by conventional digital flexo devices. Thats a pretty big claim considering the amount of success that Esko is having with their devices. Personally, Id need to see the proof. But I have seen the proof with Esko Imagers. YES the esko dot does not look perfectly round and consistent on the ablated layer (under a high power loupe).. and the dot gets more inconsistent as the dot gets smaller. But for whatever reason.. through exposure in an oxygen rich environment.. the dots 'become" round. Personally, I think Kodak is stretching their theory mighty thin to basically sell new technology... but thats my opinion. I also have issue with the extra laminating step that takes place... just one more step to introduce dust, damage etc. To me it falls into the category of - The old system works... why fix it? Until an independant testing facility is going to show me side by side printed proofs with completely controlled conditions, that substantiate what Kodak is claiming.... everything that I have heard so far about Kodaks system is marketing doing its thing. Kodak needs to get some experience under its belt before it starts making these claims... they just don't have that yet. Of couse I'll add the prerequisite IMHO. :smile:
exflexo

Postby alanc1 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 am

I will be looking at this closer.
Kodak will be bring me printed pieces some from their new plate and some from the other system.
They will also be suppling me with plates , using my files
I also find that if we don't try new things, how will we ever progress
I will keep this forum informed as I know more
thanks for your reply.
AC
alanc1

Postby exflexo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 pm

My recommendation when evaluation a product with a quarter million dollar price tag (minimum) is always to NOT let the vendor lead you with their own samples. I would highly recommend that you produce a file, or better yet.. use the FTA first target or Dupont's Fingerprint Target files. Then send a copy of the identical file to ESKO and to KODAK and have them image a set of plates with absolutely NO bump curve or NO cut-back... have them send it to each device linear (make sure they undestand that, but do not tell them you are comparing it to another device... just tell them that it is for your own evaluation purposes). Then either mount the plates side by side, or one after another and let the printed sample speak for itself.
exflexo

Postby alanc1 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 am

Excellent Idea , Will do
Thanks
AC
alanc1

Postby exflexo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:23 pm

After some additional thought on this, I would also ask for an unexposed plate too. Then you can examine the mask and perform your own exposure and washout under your conditions.
exflexo

Postby alanc1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks , already have
will test next week
AC
alanc1

Postby PlateMan4U » Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 am

Rumors are everywhere... but I heard Kodak's flexo plate is a 1:1 file to print, naturally with no curve necessary. I'd be interested to hear dot gain results from your assessment.

Also, what tooling do you plan to run this with? Kodak showcased 400lpi flexo print down at Forum 2008. My question is what tooling can support 400lpi flexo plates? If my math serves me correctly, that would mean we'd have to run with 2000 line aniloxes?!?! SID issues anyone?

Just my 1.9 cents...
PlateMan4U

Postby alanc1 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:03 am

Using 1:1 plates my gain at 50% was 56%
I am Using 1200 annilox and the plates they gave me were 200 line screen.
unbeliveable results so far , screening off to ZERO that right ZERO no drop off.
they say you can print 400 line screen even with 900 annilox.
I am going to do a long run this week using seven plates 4 c/p and 3 spots
at 200 line will let you know results.
AC
alanc1

Postby Infinite » Tue May 06, 2008 9:33 am

Very interesting trial....
Few questions which needed some comments of yours...
- What is the minimum dot size on your file/plate, have you tried to check using 75x or 100x microscope? What kind of dot shapes do you see under the microscope?
- Did you see any differences when compared to "conventional LAMS" digital plate, such as the press setup, print stays clean especially on screening off to ZERO?
- Understood it's a Flexcel NX, but is it a MacDermid with Kodak Flexcel NX lamination?
Infinite

Postby alanc1 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 am

Min dot on plate is what they say .4% dot, from what I can see The only dot my Bataflex will measure is the 1%
big diffrence in print quality and color from masked digital plates
new plate material designed by Kodak , made in japan
AC
alanc1

Postby exflexo » Thu May 08, 2008 4:05 pm

Okay, you have me interested too... hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions too.

1) How were you able to determine for sure that Kodak did not put a cut-back into the mid-tone?

2) Are these plates processed with Solvent, or can they be FAST processed as well?

3) And obviously.. .what is the price of the machine? :smile:
exflexo

Postby alanc1 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 am

1. had to take their word for it , will dig deeper
2. only solvent based plate
3. about the same cost as any ctp device, added cost laminator 20K approx
I have now washed out plates sent to me and am achiving same results, still haven,t done long run
AC
alanc1

Postby alanc1 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:35 am

I am still evaluating this product for my use
If anyone else has used it or even tried it I would like your input.
So far I have found it to be pretty good , but things change with time and use.
AC
alanc1

Postby PlateMan4U » Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

Hey AC,

Clean that NX plate off and toss it on the BetaFlex. What dot size does it read in "plate" mode at the 50% target patch?

If the 1:1 is correct, the file, plate, and print should hit 50%... no cutbacks necessary.

Please advise with results. We are eager to hear!
PlateMan4U

Next

Return to Prepress