Napkins printing

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Napkins printing

Postby Luc St-Pierre » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm

I would like feedback from printers actually printing paper towels, napkins etc. My question: what is the best plate fot the job? hard plate? soft plate? polymer? rubber? I wold like to ear about the run issues, cleaning, dust gatheing in plate etc.
Thank you
Luc St-Pierre
Owner
Flexographic 7 Inc.
Luc St-Pierre

Re: Napkins printing

Postby macmanpcg » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Get in touch with this man. Very knowledgeable, tell him Brian St.Germain (formerly of Solo Cup Co.) recommended him please. He is a great resource and had great success running paper and napkin. I can give input but get it straight from the source.

He is no longer with Solo Cup Co. but I can say he was a tremendous asset to that organization.

Here is a link;
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/10/460/750
macmanpcg

Postby Luc St-Pierre » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Thank you. I do not have an account to reach Cary Peterson on the website you linked me to. Any other way to reach this man?
Luc St-Pierre
Owner
Flexographic 7 Inc.
Luc St-Pierre

Postby dgm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Carey is working for West Essex Graphics last I heard. 800 221-5859
dgm

Postby macmanpcg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Sorry,

I figured you would either make an account or at the very least glean enough info (i.e. Technical Sales, West Essex), next time I will be more specific. Also sorry for not monitoring the post as often. Cary is a good guy.

Brian
macmanpcg

Postby ron2929 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:53 am

Rubber is becoming much more popular in the US. In Europe they primarily use rubber for this type printing. Rubber will last longer than photopolymer in most cases. I have worked with several people in this application.
ron2929

Postby inkman » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:51 pm

While we are on the subject, can anyone having experience printing napkins tell me what the requirements are for the inks? Do the inks need FDA compliance? Are there special resistance properties required from the inks? What are the anilox specifications used? Are the ink viscosities typically run lower?
inkman

Postby dkelley » Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 pm

I worked for Solo Cup in Oshkosh WI we ran a Bretting napkin press using photo polymer sleeves and photo polymer plates.
The inks used depended on the machine. Some used waterbase inks and an anilox others used a solvent paste ink similar to offset inks and a roller system also like offset, dust is always a problem with tissue paper web breaks are also troublesome.
Tensions can be tricky they can give you the appearance of repeat problems or crooked plates when in fact the problem is material streching
The one bretting press we ran produced 6000 napkins per minute
dkelley

Return to Prepress