Label Orientations

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Label Orientations

Postby jkidwell » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:22 am

When referencing the finished label height and width which comes first? The height or the width?
jkidwell

Re: Label Orientations

Postby vandium » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 am

For every place I have worked for its been (Width x Length).
Last edited by vandium on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
vandium

Postby inohuiam » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 am

I think that it probably comes down to the internal company preference. Although in most catalogues that I have seen from companies that sell stock die cut labels, the size of the label across the web is usually listed first. Our company manufacturs pressure sensitive labels. At our company, we have standardized on using the size across the web first. This helps everyone at our company understand the orientation of the label in relationship to the direction the job runs through the press as well as the finished product unwind direction. It works for printed labels as well as blank labels. When speaking with a client, it can be useful to show them a copy position unwind chart that you can find online by just doing a quick web search. Although I'm not sure if the unwind chart has an industry standard, all of the charts that I've seen seem to concur on copy unwind positions. However, as far as I can see, the copy position unwind chart serves no purpose for unprinted product.
Joel Rosenberg
American Printing Converters
Uniondale, NY
inohuiam

Postby exflexo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:23 am

I've never been able to adopt an X = Width and Y= Length standard, mostly because of a customers predisposition (most would consider X to be the direction that copy pointed in). I worked at a label company that would not use and X / Y standard at all. Instead, on all of our customer (and internal spec sheets) we would have a little pictograph of a label roll with the words "Copy Reads This Way" in every possible orientation. We would simply have the customer circle which way the copy will be orientated on the roll... I don't think we ever had a reject because of label orientation.
exflexo

Postby exflexo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:25 am

Just read inohuiams reply.... sorry for the redundancy.
exflexo

Postby prepblues » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 pm

vandium wrote:For every place I have worked for its been (Width x Length).

This is how we figure it as well.
prepblues

Postby nostaw84 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:47 pm

I have had this issue come up before where i work. We always have used width x length (WxL)
Our customers always have also when designeing there specifications.
Then one day a spec was made up with LxW and passed all approval stages. This happened to be a new size label and required a newly ordered die. The buyer looked at the spec and order the size but did not catch that it was reversed. This is an expensive mistake considering a new die may run $1000 or more. My opinion is always check the specs carefully when looking label direction because what may be standard could always change (by mistake in this case).
Im still new to Flexo but this is one lesson I will never forget
Nostaw84
nostaw84

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Since it is a matter of point of view we ask all of our customers to include web direction and gear side on all drawings. Also, we never assume the first measurement is width and the second is length. It is clearer when the dimensions are defined as "Across the Web" or "Around the Web".

Many an hour has been wasted confirming what is the dimension across vs. the dimension around.
Scott P

Return to Prepress