Kodak Flexcel NX

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Kodak Flexcel NX

Postby ljgoldberg » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Dr. John,

Can you offer some clarification concerning the contact between the imaging layer and the photopolymer? It was my understanding that the traditional matte surface halftone film was used to help exhaust the outgassed exposure by-products, thus improving the contact and resulting image sharpness. Is this correct for the majority of conventional photopolymer materials on the market, either thermal, aquaeous, or solvent washout?

Does the Kodak Flexcel NX photopolymer outgas during exposure?

Is there any difference in exposure sensitivity of the photopolymer due to its proximity to the edge of the sheet?

I have imaged and measured some sample plates with the Betaflex 334 and the new Betaflex 335 system, and the images are remarkably sharp. Measuring them at 15,000 optical dpi is a good match to the exposing system, producing accurate and repeatable measurements.

Regards,

Larry Goldberg
ljgoldberg

Postby Painter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:32 pm

exflexo ... Thanks for the reply. Ink was simply a polyamide using a single solvent - Alcohol - ethyl & normal propyl. I never see this with current plates but it is definately a deciding factor for me. Also, the size limitation is still a barrier for us ... big press. I don't know if I can justify consuming more energy and adding a hydrocarbon solvent to my workflow for such a small plate. 50/80 sheet format is the most economical for us.
Painter

Postby Painter » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you, Frank.

Painter

Frank Burgos wrote:The two links below should take you to artciles in FLEXO magazine related to the Kodak plate.
Painter

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:46 pm

You're very welcome, Painter.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Dr John » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Larry, good to see your questions.

The Thermal Imaging Layer (TIL) is not Matte on the surface but glossy smooth, because it is laminated using low pressure with the imaged emulsion side down forming intimate contact with the photopolymer there is no air that needs to be out gassed during exposure. This contact between the emulsion and the photopolymer is the same across the entire surface of the plate, including near the edges, to enable the imaging and sharpness of the plate to be even across the whole plate.

I have seen the results from the Betaflex 334, and look forward to testing on the new model, sounds like you have the optical resolution needed to measure down to the 0.4% coverage with the 10 micron SQUAREspot dots.

With regards Dr John
john.anderson3@kodak.com
Dr John

Postby Dr John » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:10 pm

If you want to see the effect of FM screening, see the discussion on 20 Micron FM, and the image below

http://www.flexoexchange.com/forum_uplo ... _FM_AM.jpg

Dr John
john.anderson3@kodak.com
Dr John

Postby Dr John » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:03 am

Happy July 4th

If you want to see pieces of the steps in action to better understand the Flexcel NX system, there is a new youtube video available from PackStar, plus a success story from Labeltronix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JIfGtxy6k

http://graphics.kodak.com/KodakGCG/uplo ... ory_lo.pdf

Dr John
john.anderson3@kodak.com
Dr John

Postby dhiren » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:18 pm

We are a prepress house that produces of NX plates. Our narrow and mid web customers say they find it easier to compete with offset in terms of quality. Our wide web solvent customers are reaching into the Roto market and chasing work that is higher quality with finer linescreens and better color gamut.
dhiren

Previous

Return to Prepress