Setting 4CP Curves

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Setting 4CP Curves

Postby dsm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:38 pm

We are currently outsourcing our 4CP films and would like to bring the work in house. What is the easiest way to apply the curves to 4CP artwork? Is it better to set the curves in the artwork (AI & Photoshop) or through the RIP in the image setter? Keep in mind that our graphic artists do not have much experience with 4CP.
dsm

Re: Setting 4CP Curves

Postby exflexo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 am

If all of your printing presses have the same relative press gain characteristics (which is quite possible), it is usually best to have your RIP do the cutbacks. Then your artist can work with a 1:1 file and you won't have to save multiple versions of the file. That said, if your artists do not have much experience in 4CP, this is not something you should enter into lightly. It is not just about doing cut backs. Understanding how 4CP images need to be set up (whether in Photoshop or Illustrator) can vary from simple to extremely complex.. and is not something that can be taught overnight. I would recommend starting with a simple job and have your inhouse dept do their best to match what you have been supplied by your vendor. That would be a good starting place. I'd also recommend getting the FTA First manual... which I consider to be the bible when it comes to the nuts and bolts of proper artwork preparation. Good luck!
exflexo

Re: Setting 4CP Curves

Postby smmas31 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 pm

May I suggest bringing in your plate vendor and fingerprinting your presses. I had great success when I had a tech from my vendor here to help me fingerprint and set dot gain curves in our Rip. Once the curves where set in the Rip we have had no problem dealing with 4cp jobs.
smmas31

Return to Prepress