Previously saved job files?

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Previously saved job files?

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:39 am

I'm interested in knowing how often (as in percentage of the time ) printers use previously saved job files on their presses to help set up jobs.I'd expect there to be an impression/inkers reset with a registration tweak.

I don't believe any printers use the facility in my shop even though job files are titled. I think it's because they either like setting jobs up from scratch or like me weren't encouraged to use this option. Pretty well everyone following each other. Normally after entering new file settings are pretty close anyway.

I'm not referring to presses that can set and register themselves.

If you are a printer that does use previously saved files what do you do? How does it work out for you? Do you believe it saves a lot of time? Do you have to modify files? Are there any things you have to watch out for?

What have been your experiences really? I'm interested in learning more.

Cheers

Gorilla
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gorilla Printer

Re: Saved Files?

Postby longtimefan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:04 am

A flexotechnica I ran would save very well..impressions and registration may have had to be tweaked some.

A uteco wasn't to good at saving and now my beilloni is horrible at this.
longtimefan

Re: Previously saved job files?

Postby lavoie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:11 pm

In my experience, whatever standard make ready procedure you use, they are only as good as their:
1. Accuracy. Any and all changes made before and during the run must be documented.
2. Material consistency. Substrate, ink and plates.
3. Press consistency. Lay down order, Anilox LPI & BCM, speed, temperatures and tensions.

Even press room climate is a factor if your shop is not climate controlled.

I believe a basic make ready guide is very useful. I great starting point. You also don't want your operators being so dependent on the SOP that any deviation from it causes them to panic or get frustrated. A press operator must have the ability to stay somewhat fluid so they can adapt to any situation. Press settings are constantly changing through out a run. Especially now that long runs are less and less popular. I always said you can make any job look great for 1000 ft for job approval. Running the entire job with the same quality is a different story.
lavoie

Postby just Andy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Gorilla

Interesting topic.

Over here, everyone follows the saved file. It's got the entire job saved; the anilox, viscosity, sequence, tension, drying, and substrate info. Why would you want to spend time entering that each time, right? Especially if the job is a particularly challenging one.

Impression settings are saved and operators reset the pressures but based off the last-run. So it's fairly close already (e.g. if more pressure is required on one of the sides, the difference on OS and DS is still there and then they just double-check and back out evenly to see).

(@lavoie, to expand on your first point): I totally agree. The trouble is when a genuine change is but the operator forgets to change it on the computer or re-save the file. That way the next time the job is run, even the same operator may start off on the old information and re-spend time for a lesson already learnt.

Cheers,
Andy
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:54 am

Hi just Andy
That is exactly what I was wanting to hear. And I am amazed that all your operators do this!
I am the only one in my shop I know that goes of previously saved files. As usual, it started off with me experimenting with the facility. The norm is to create a file and enter all the required numbers, then set from scratch

I look at the previously saved job file and make sure the correct cylinder size and stations are being used. It's OK if a station needs to be added or deleted as I can modify it.
So I download the file and have to give it a new name.
When downloaded I change tensions to run our thin gauged make ready roll. I also have to change tensions back to tension mode if the saved file was in draw mode.

But you hit the nail on head. Less work required in entering numbers and regardless inkers/impressions and registration are instantly set close to the running specs, more than what you would get starting from scratch. That's before the press has even started!

By the way, what do "OS and DS" mean? One might be the operator's side?

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, you've answered a lot of questions

Cheers
Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby just Andy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 am

Hi Gorilla

We always use saved files because it's only simpler. I am aware that there are some places that operators stick to their guns about their own way of running the job. So you end up with multiple duplicates of the same job + their initials or something.

You are correct; I'm referring to if a particular job requires more pressure on the Operator Side, than the Drive Side, if the pressures are offset intentionally and saved. The next time the job is re-called, the off-set difference is there. So even if a new person see's the previously run's pressures, they can expect some reason the previous operator run the job's pressures unevenly.

One thing I forgot to mention, each new job gets saved on the machine + a physical copy of all the details are filled out. This is because if one day the data is lost/corrupted/over-written, a physical copy still exists. And this works both ways, if (and so far not once to date) a physical copy gets lost, it can easily be re-written by loading up the job and filling out the info.
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 am

Hey just Andy
I'd still reset even after downloading my own saved file as plates aren't guaranteed to be the same. For eg .new or worn.

I'm not that bothered about files being lost as it's not that much of a bother to set up the job from scratch again to save later.

Anyway, I haven't found any saved job to be perfect. I always give them a quick reset for peace of mind.

Cheers
Gorilla Printer

Postby Poonz » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 pm

We use the previously saved files, everything is labeled with the Customer / Job Name / Date Last Ran. Usually small tweaks to registration and a reset of the pressures.
Poonz

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:50 pm

Poonz wrote:We use the previously saved files, everything is labeled with the Customer / Job Name / Date Last Ran. Usually small tweaks to registration and a reset of the pressures.

Thanks for that Poonz .Currently, I'm saving by cylinder size and stations. One lesson I've learned is, be the one that puts the cylinders in the press. Because if they're put in wrong the saved file will be out of register next time.

Cheers

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Return to Pressroom