Glow in the dark inks

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Glow in the dark inks

Postby flb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:16 pm

Read some months back about an ink company coming out with a water based glow in the dark ink. Wonder if anyone has given this a try and what the results were.
Also wondering if anyone can give feedback on any solvent glow in the dark ink they may have used. Also, what problems they encountered, anilox used, drying system etc. Have only limited experience with specialty inks like this, and that was many years ago-am getting too old and senile to remember some of the particulars. Also been a long time since used solvent anything (am strictly water based here now ). I seem to remember some anilox issues different than I have with water based inks, but can't recall what they were. Any help would be appreciated.
flb

Re: Glow in the dark inks

Postby Gory » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:02 pm

I cannot speak to this product specifically, but about 15 years ago I was involved with formulating glow in the dark solvent inks. Particle size was very large (as it is with many 'effects' products) some of these 'effects' depend on particle size whilst others the particle size is dictated by the effect required (some of these are a crystalline structures of quite a large size, grinding them as you would a pigment to reduce the size reduces and often eliminates the effect).

I would expect you are going to need very course aniloxes of high volume (guesstimate 15BCM) to apply this type of product due to the size of the 'particles'. At the time of my work it was primarily a gravure application, as transfer characteristics for flexo were poor. I would expect if you can find the manufacturer, they will be able to assist in what is required to be successful with their product.

One thing I doubt has changed is that they were very expensive.
Gory

Postby longtimefan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 pm

Inx or siergwerk

Ran it for gerber snacks cups halloween series
longtimefan

Postby longtimefan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Was water based. Dont think was any special dying used.

Its been few years so I cant recall it all..I do know we had to take a sample and go into a dark room to verify it all. Very hard to see as printing.

But as I said..inx or siergwerk handled it and could give you more info.

I dont think clean up was an issue either
Attachments
2A9BDF5C-E30F-4DCE-9DB2-858FC0621F73.png
2A9BDF5C-E30F-4DCE-9DB2-858FC0621F73.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 194 times
longtimefan

Postby flb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:56 am

Thanks for all the inputs. Will see where they want to go. You are right gory it is expensive-so far the quotes I've gotten are in the $35-45 range.
flb

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 am

Do you have UV capabilities? I have heard that is the way to go with glo-in-dark inks? Never tried it though.
Fuzz

Postby flb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi Fuzz thanks for the input. I have nine print stations total, only the last one is UV capable. I keep asking to upgrade one of the other stations because there have been inquiries for other types of specialty effects before.
flb

Return to Pressroom