Tips/Tricks - Flexographic Mastery.

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Tips/Tricks - Flexographic Mastery.

Postby iteachflexo » Wed May 12, 2021 9:18 am

Some companies make a paper liner for trays for mark andy presses

DIP is the company that manufactures paper and plastic ink trays for various presses. I've used them at work and at school. Helps reduce clean up time.
iteachflexo

Postby iteachflexo » Wed May 12, 2021 9:26 am

Line drip trays with a Vaseline.

Instead of using Vaseline which is clear, try using a red grease from Walmart. Easier to see when you apply. I use the red grease on the journals of anilox and metering roll for easier clean up.
iteachflexo

Postby Fuzz » Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm

@ Gorilla Printer KECO Engineered Coatings works great if you don't want to use disposable pans. Well worth it IMO.
Fuzz

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:03 pm

Keep ink flow to bare minimum.
It took me years to figure this out, as no one in my shop was taught it.
Actually, when I started experimenting with the practice, people would complain because it wasn't the norm. They wanted to see "good flow"(tap open about half way). What is good flow?
So long as you have enough to print good and not cause a dry out , that's all that's needed.
All shifts on my press minimise flow now, because they have learnt from experience.

Remember, flow x speed = more pressure in the chamber. So less flow = fewer leaks, chamber blow outs and minimises mess. Seals aren't being compromised, so chambers last the week. Including the white, which is practically running 24/7.

When first experimenting, yes you will have dry out or two or the pneumatic pump will stop from lack of flow. No worries, persevere, and you will teach yourself where the sweet spot is. The reward is immense.

Easier Printing Everybody!

Gorilla.
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:34 pm

Hi All
In my shop, white is usually the first lay down.
Guys like to set inkers /impression for the other colours with it on.
I understand, it's easier to see with a white background

The problem is the risk of picking white off onto the plate you are setting. Especially with screens. With no background there is nothing to pick off or cause build up.

Get used to setting colours individually first and then bring them on to register.
I suppose people could achieve the same, setting print from last station to first

You use less make ready roll while maintaining clean plates because you can do this at low speed. Which makes it easier to set registration and Kiss impression, before fine-tuning down at the scanner

Cheers

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Previous

Return to Pressroom