Bearer Bars

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Bearer Bars

Postby longtimefan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:44 pm

Gorilla Printer wrote:Update:
Yellow mounting tape with Digicap plate worked a treat
We managed to run @ 165 m/min with minimal ghosting/bounce. It was our worst print for bouncing . One up, 400 mm repeat and over 900 mm wide. This has been the best performance yet.

It will be good when we finally trial Channalbac to see a comparison. I hope it's worth all the extra work to mount

Will keep you updated

Cheers

Gorilla

I should be paid for that??? Lol
longtimefan

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Gorilla Printer wrote:Update:
Yellow mounting tape with Digicap plate worked a treat
We managed to run @ 165 m/min with minimal ghosting/bounce. It was our worst print for bouncing . One up, 400 mm repeat and over 900 mm wide. This has been the best performance yet.

It will be good when we finally trial Channalbac to see a comparison. I hope it's worth all the extra work to mount

Will keep you updated

Cheers

Gorilla

I should be paid for that??? Lol

No worries Longtime,I did :eek: . I received a $200 voucher from the operations manager for the effort. The wife spending the lot within minutes of arriving home is another story :( .
I was shocked, it was brought up at our site meeting. I felt quite awkward. They know I got my info off a printer's forum, though.

Another learning is to use a new chamber when running these jobs.

Cheers

Gorilla

This Guy lol:
longtimefan wrote:Yes

But doesnt sit well you bragged about getting money when it was fully.my idea for you.

Should have never mentioned it.
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gorilla Printer

Postby just Andy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:08 am

Hi Gorilla

When you mention chamber. I might not be able to give too much input about it, but I've seen a three-blade chamber before.

It's a third blade attachment that clicks into place of the chamber. It would typically use a plastic (nylon) doctor blade.
Since the blade is inside the chamber, it basically pre-meters the ink on the anilox. And then when coming to the original metering blade, it's not catching too much vibration. Apparently this makes the anilox smoother.

Not sure how well it works though.

Cheers
Andy
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:53 am

just Andy wrote:Hi Gorilla

When you mention chamber. I might not be able to give too much input about it, but I've seen a three-blade chamber before.

It's a third blade attachment that clicks into place of the chamber. It would typically use a plastic (nylon) doctor blade.
Since the blade is inside the chamber, it basically pre-meters the ink on the anilox. And then when coming to the original metering blade, it's not catching too much vibration. Apparently this makes the anilox smoother.

Not sure how well it works though.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks again Andy
I'm keen to try one.
A sister site up north has a 3 bladed chamber system that works well for this type of work.I think their press is a W&H.I'm hoping that maybe we could at least get one of these type chambers for our Comexi. If that's possible since they are different companies? Maybe Comexi might have an alternative?

Cheers mate

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:04 am

Well, Well
Just for an experiment, we trial pink mounting tape (our softest ) with the digicap plate. Oh my goodness, we got up to 200 m/min, and still hadn't hit the wall. We were happy with that and rode it till the end of job.
It wasn't our biggest plate, but stil,l it was impressive. That pink tape is used for fine process print.
It looks like Channalbac will get put on the back burner. The bosses are happy with our progress. They even have a GTT roller coming.

So we now need to trial printing our biggest digicap plate with pink tape, using a GTT roller.
This could be coming to a conclusion, guys.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby just Andy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:15 am

Hi Gorilla

Glad to hear that you got some good results on that.

Normally when we go with a softer tape on a large solid; there's quite a bit of pinholing. So to combat it we have to apply more plate pressure; which in turn increases the bounce.
Is the softer tape not causing much pinholing for you?
Or is that what you are planning to combat with the GTT anilox; high volume of ink to "hide / flood out" the pinholes?
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:24 pm

Glad to hear that you got some good results on that.

Normally when we go with a softer tape on a large solid; there's quite a bit of pinholing. So to combat it we have to apply more plate pressure; which in turn increases the bounce.
Is the softer tape not causing much pinholing for you?
Or is that what you are planning to combat with the GTT anilox; high volume of ink to "hide / flood out" the pinholes?

Hey Andy

The softer mounting tape is actually achieving a better result.There is no pinhole problem ,the digicap technology just lays the ink down better.For eg a mounter accidentally used hard tape on the same digicap plate.The reverse type started filling in-it was horrible -no matter how much we backed off.Even to the point of making the solid badly pinhole.The technology is that good .It spreads the ink! Which fills in pinholes. Practically going against "the science" as we know it . Being a virgin ,it was an experience and a half.How can I explain it? You won't believe me, and I am not exaggerating.It's like setting the biggest process print screen ever.Yes, those settings - only it's a digicap solid with no pinholing. Ok,maybe two clicks more of inkers/impression.20 um extra each is miniscule.Bloody, mind-blowing.

My supervisor, manager and operations manager were standing there watching me slowly wind up the press, while tweaking, in 5 mpm increments till 200 mpm.The only reason why I stopped, was the speed more than a good enough and I wanted to go to smoko lol.The wall hadn't been hit yet, and squeezing at least another 10 mpm out was realistic.
I gave them a couple of fist pumps before heading off lol.

As mentioned in an earlier post the GTT roller had already been ordered as per suggestion from our supplier.
So we are going to experiment with it. Again ,because GTT minimises pinholing ,it should help alleviate bounce even more.My boss is practically creaming himself thinking that if we get more density with the GTT laydown ,we might be able to run at a lower viscosity saving on ink costs lol. We use about 1/5 of a 20 litre pail per roll.

Again, nice to hear from you bro

Peace

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby just Andy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:57 am

Hi Gorilla

If there's no issues regarding the pinholing then yeah, stick to the softer tape and right plate. I wonder what would happen if you put an even softer tape with the GTT...

When the ground doesn't vibrate as much and the sound is more pleasant then you're running it well. If they're happy at 200mpm they will be even more the next run at 210 , 220, etc...
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:16 am

If there's no issues regarding the pinholing then yeah, stick to the softer tape and right plate. I wonder what would happen if you put an even softer tape with the GTT...

When the ground doesn't vibrate as much and the sound is more pleasant, then you're running it well. If they're happy at 200mpm they will be even more the next run at 210 , 220, etc...

Hi Andy
The pink is our softest tape. The next hardest is our normal tape we use for process print. Also, I did, see slight pin holing along the edges of the image, leading me to believe that this tape could be the sweet spot. But I always like trying to prove myself wrong, so will ask the day shift lead, if we can source some softer stuff. He should be pretty motivated, as he was the one who suggested trying the softer tape we just trialled.
Yes, there was minimal vibration. I couldn't hear any, which is good.

My manager is already in talks with Comexi about getting a three bladed chamber, and we haven't even trialled the GTT yet
Management is going great guns. Too much in fact? Which gives me a suspicion they are going to place this project in our global company competition on improvements?

Cheers

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Previous

Return to Pressroom