Have you been in a similar situation?.

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Have you been in a similar situation?.

Postby flexo.uk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi exflex

The hot water idea does work to a degree. Try taking a flexo plate and bruising it with the edge of a ruler to create a dent. Take a cloth with some boiling water on it and apply the cloth to the bruised area. After a little while take the cloth off and I can asure you that the dent would have swollen out (plate material is DuPont Cyrel.) Give it a go when you have chance.
flexo.uk

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi flexo.uk,

I'm going to try it when I get back to work. Great idea. I’ll get back to you on this.

Cheers
Gorilla Printer

Postby john fisher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Gorilla Printer wrote:Hi John,

Sorry about not replying sooner.
How would you know when to pack the low spot or do your method?

I would always try my method first before packing if it didn't work then explore the slight raising of the plate by packing. NONE of these options are ideal or good working practice but they can be the difference as first requested on how to complete a job if a replacement plate is not readily available.
john fisher

Postby flexo.uk » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:59 pm

I think Johns just hit the nail on the head. None of the given ideas are ideal or good working practice BUT if it gets the job done, great. Prevention is the best cure but some times you need to bend the rules. I think everyone on here that has run a press will have had to think outside of the box or come up with a fudge job at sometime or another to get the job finished.
flexo.uk

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Well said ,flexo.uk and John Fisher.
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 am

flexo.uk wrote:Hi exflex

The hot water idea does work to a degree. Try taking a flexo plate and bruising it with the edge of a ruler to create a dent. Take a cloth with some boiling water on it and apply the cloth to the bruised area. After a little while take the cloth off and I can asure you that the dent would have swollen out (plate material is DuPont Cyrel.) Give it a go when you have chance.

Hi flexo.uk

I tried it and yes it did make a big difference. Very impressive. Mind you, I had a go at it for about 10 minutes.

Thanks for your tip : )
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

It Just goes to show we are always evolving.So,long story short and 8 years later.Take cylinder out of press.Heat up damaged area with heat gun while plate is still mounted.Works wonders ,95% of the time.
Cheers
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Gorilla Printer

Postby Leadpress » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Whenever that happens to me, I just take the impression off momentarily to let the splice through without repercussion. I never let splices go through with my impression on, because it damages plates. I hope this helps.
Leadpress

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Leadpress wrote:Whenever that happens to me, I just take the impression off momentarily to let the splice through without repercussion. I never let splices go through with my impression on, because it damages plates. I hope this helps.

Hi Leadpress
The main point was not about prevention but what one can quickly do to fix a damaged plate so they can finish of a job.There are no spare plates available

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby longtimefan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Not a Bic lighter but a heat gun.. Will fix creases lot easier
longtimefan

Postby guy de cafmeyer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 am

Yes , Here we use a ( cigarette ) lighter to soften the plate underside , and then put a piece of sellotape ( 5 thou )
in the low area / crease area . Normally works . . Can use MEK to swell the plate , but that is risky . .
guy de cafmeyer

Postby Steve Mezzapella » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Not a fix however a proactive workaround.
We had a situation where metallic splices were wreaking havoc on a job from plate damage to web breaks in the folding unit. We marked the outside of the rolls where the splice and then shut off print and counter til the splice went through. This added a little time in finishing to remove the blanks however saved a lot of time on press and kept the plates from getting damaged.
Going forward we had the supplier assure us those type of splices would not be in that material.
Steve Mezzapella

Postby Buck from N.C. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:18 pm

With the old solvent/wash out plate making equipment, we used to put a damaged plate in the heater for a while.
Buck from N.C.

Postby TexMaintMan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Depending on the plate.. We have used MEK on solid plates before.. tape on the backside of the plate in the affected area.. really depends on the type of plate and location..
TexMaintMan

Previous

Return to Pressroom