How to clean Water Based pans without using the sink???

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

How to clean Water Based pans without using the sink???

Postby donaldwal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:43 am

For years we have disposed of our waste in via a 55 gallon barrel and having it hauled off... With this being said for years we have scraped our pans into said barrel and rinsed our pans in the sink after soaking in a drum. Apparently one of our chimps thought it was a good idea to dump Gold down the drain... In steps the EPA with threats of fines and so on. This all went down last summer the chimp has since then been let go. Last Thursday the owner caught an employee rinsing an empty jug out and went crazy.... I went into him and asked him has he gotten another visit from the EPA he stated no he was just concerned... I tried explaining our process of cleaning our pump pans and he didn't care... NOTHING DOWN THE SINK he said..... I tried to explain his increase in waste will be huge again he didn't want to hear it. Question is how do my fellow inkers clean their pumps and pump pans without rinsing them clean and not producing waste water??? Another Issue is our soak take gets funky within a few days producing even more waste water.... Insanity looms large with the Environmentally safe ink... I understand about the issues with its contents but for its rewards with lower VOC`s its just as much of a pain in the neck as solvent based inks disposal and clean up wise...
donaldwal

Re: How to clean Water Based pans without using the sink???

Postby wdustin1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:10 am

Hello Donaldwal!
We are a full U.V. shop here and we produce a lot of hazardous waste, i looked into a better solution for us and maybe it would work for you, maybe somebody with more water based experience will chime in. Have you ever looked into Flexowash? We own one of their anilox washers and love it, it has a 200 micron filter in it that catches all the ink particles and sends the filtered waste down the drain. We had city inspectors come out and test to make sure what we were dumping down the drains was okay and they gave us the all clear. They have a parts washer as well, the one i looked into could do 8 ink pans at once (narrow web) you could also set it up to do aniloxes and press parts, it would filter the water and send it down the drain. Just a thought?
wdustin1

Postby longtimefan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:58 am

We used flexo wash as well.. The waste water went into a tote and then that tote picked up by a vendor to dispose of properly
longtimefan

Postby Leadpress » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:45 pm

Well, I don't want to be rude, but if you're asking for a better way, you shouldn't have let go of the chimp. He did what he was told to do. Anyway, Flexowash is the way to go.
Leadpress

Postby donaldwal » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:10 pm

The Chimp was told not to pour raw gold ink and heatseal down the sink..... We have a disposal drum for waste. Btw he was let go for stealing dies and press parts for salvage money.... He`s available if you want to hire him ;) Thanks for the suggestions guys , I have the owner looking into a waste water evaporator... I came across an old post n here after posting... This unit looks like it would pay itself off fast considering we are currently paying two hundred dollars a drum having our waste removed... https://www.equipmentmanufacturing.com/ ... %20General
donaldwal

Postby Fuzz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 pm

We use an EMC distiller for our plate wash chemical. You would basically be doing the same thing with the evaporator. Just want to say the EMC works great.
Fuzz

Postby Steve Mezzapella » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm

the excess ink is poured into the waste drum.
Then pans or anything else soiled are washed in a Safety Kleen unit.
https://www.safety-kleen.com/

NOTHING IN THE SINK
Happy 4TH everybody
Steve
Steve Mezzapella

Postby dkelley » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:56 pm

We have a tank under our sink and pump the dirty water to a unit from Wastewater Engineers http://www.wastewatereng.com/ The unit will treat a 100 gallons of waste water at a time.
You add the water some Folic Acid and a little frock and it will shock the water to remove all the dirty solids. We then send clear clean water back tot he city and the solids go directly to the landfill. Never had any problems with this unit.
Tom Gerhbacht salesman.
dkelley

Return to Pressroom