Problems with Pixel +

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Problems with Pixel +

Postby Myshambar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Running 150 lpi full coverage screens with radial vignettes 2 up, 3 around using Universal inks. Recently switched plate suppliers and went from HD Digital format to Pixel +. Several other items have also been switched over and operators have been complaining about transition areas where light hightlights into heavier having trouble keeping them clean. Thinking about going back to either Standard round top dot formats or the HD Digital again.

Thoughts on format being the problem or the supplier?

Thanks
Myshambar

Re: Problems with Pixel +

Postby richflexo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi there. We run full HD Pixel + and I might be able to help. Do you know what size dot they chose for you from their benchmark? For 150 LPI, we haven't seen a dot size smaller than a C21 to be successful for most clients. We also never let zero be zero, it always starts at .8% which also helps us. Also, is this narrow or wide web? Is the plate material the same as your previous supplier. For Pixel + they could have gone to a harder plate if they are putting in any type of Microcell into your plate. MC5x5, 6x6, MCWSI, etc.

Rich
richflexo

Postby Myshambar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Not sure about dot size, I will have to ask my vendor when he comes in next week. Wide web format and plate material is the same we run either DPR or a DPR/DPL durometer. And again, not sure what sort of microcell pattern it is, but I will ask all those questions. Thank you for the tips
Myshambar

Postby richflexo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi again. Is your vendor also using digiflow in the HD workflow? If they missed that step and the dots are round and not flat top this could have also given your operators grief. Coming from the vendor side of the problem I wouldn't be looking forward to this meeting!

I'd also check your side of things if you haven't already like your anilox. Sometimes those smaller dots pepper like crazy or start bridging when they aren't paired with the correct anilox bcm and lpi.

Rich
richflexo

Postby richflexo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Myshambar,

I'm trying to PM you but it says its in my Outbox. Not sure if you are getting my PM's. I got yours.
richflexo

Postby ljgoldberg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Sorry about my late reply. :)

If you are using MCWSI or other plate cell patterning techniques such as ESKO Pixel+ or Kodak DigiCap you can now eliminate the problems that you might have had while measuring them with the Betaflex PRO. The Version 4.0 software allows you to automatically measure "dots with spots" and correctly capture the entire ink-bearing area.

Version 4.0 is available as an upgrade at no cost to customers with Betaflex PRO instruments manufactured after Jan, 2017. Version 4.0 is included with all current Betaflex PRO devices.

If your Betaflex PRO was manufactured before Jan 2017, you may continue to use your current software, the latest version being 3.1.0.3. If you do not yet have the latest version of 3.x, please contact me to obtain the free upgrade. Please note the Version 3.x is now frozen; there will be no further upgrades or feature enhancements offered. It is now bug-free, but does not measure the surface screening technique mentioned here.

If you wish to upgrade to Version 4 with an older Betaflex PRO you must purchase a permanent software license. The cost is USD $1000, available from us or your local dealer. You'll need to provide the serial number of your Betaflex PRO in order to obtain the software license. Do NOT install Version 4 if you have not yet obtained the license. When you launch the application it will ask you for the License, if none is provided the application will close. If you want to run the older software, you'll need to re-install it.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Larry Goldberg
Technical Director
Beta Industries
707 Commercial Ave.
Carlstadt, New Jersey, 07072 USA
Tel 201-939-2400
Fax 201-939-7656
larry@betascreen.com
www.betascreen.com
ljgoldberg

Postby longtimefan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 pm

Digging this up again..

I am at a place (recently new here) we run pixel plus on a job where it has huge coverage of a magenta screen and process yellow screen

Clean aniloxes and plates, nice impression and inking hit, but get the banding marks in magenta. I want to try softer tape, they say we can't and have to use 3m 1320

The sleeve has been changed so it's not that. The tape has excellent seams.

Wide web fearless.

Any other ideas?
longtimefan

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Do you get bands in the magenta when it prints alone?
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby richflexo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:29 pm

What plate type, gauge and MC pattern are you using?

Have you done a stain and focus test recently?

Make sure you amplitude is correct and your densities are on target. We use MCWSI and the focus of the image attached is crucial otherwise you will have issues. Not saying banding is one but its a good start.

The banding could be artwork related as well, anytime I see large area's of screens and gradients I cringe!
Attachments
IMG_7709.JPG
IMG_7709.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 59 times
richflexo

Postby longtimefan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Haven't seen it run yet...can't answer some of those.

I have no info on the tech info of plates..we don't do our plates.
longtimefan

Postby longtimefan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Right now no option of barber bars as the film isn't wide enough and we slit in line and ship right to customer.

It was mostly I saw this job coming up, saw it had almost full coverage of a magenta screen with yellow behind it and banding lines..I said what was done to fix..they told me the things I posted..I asked about tape and there reply was 1320 only because plate manufacturer said only to use that.

I'm.not sure why they were told that...they don't even want to try softer tape..little stubborn on change
longtimefan

Postby longtimefan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:05 pm

richflexo wrote:What plate type, gauge and MC pattern are you using?

Have you done a stain and focus test recently?

Make sure you amplitude is correct and your densities are on target. We use MCWSI and the focus of the image attached is crucial otherwise you will have issues. Not saying banding is one but its a good start.

The banding could be artwork related as well, anytime I see large area's of screens and gradients I cringe!

I'm.sorry I have no clue at all what you just said..lmao I'll send that info to our plate maker
longtimefan

Postby richflexo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Double check that the plate surface doesn't have any ripples in it. We got a bad batch of material and customer complained about banding and it turned out to be the plates were faulty from the factory they were made in.

We opened up a new case of material, remade it and it fixed the problem.
richflexo

Return to Pressroom