Ingenius innovations

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Ingenius innovations

Postby longtimefan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Gorilla Printer wrote:
just Andy wrote: Just to reiterate, I mean cut with a blade/scalpel, not with scissors. If you place two tapes on top of each other and cut through both of them, the gap will be tiny.

Thanks, I was actually using a Stanley knife. Will have to find my scalpel, haven't used it in years
:eek:

Gorilla
I've used this and it's awesome..

The blade is the best part..stays sharp for ever.
https://www.michaels.com/3m-scotch-util ... gIojfD_BwE

These are also nice

https://m.banggood.com/Raitool-DT05-16p ... gLGVfD_BwE
longtimefan

Postby Gorilla Printer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 am

longtimefan wrote:I've used this and it's awesome..

The blade is the best part..stays sharp for ever.
https://www.michaels.com/3m-scotch-util ... gIojfD_BwE

These are also nice

https://m.banggood.com/Raitool-DT05-16p ... gLGVfD_BwE

Thanks longtimefan
But I found my scalpel and yesterday plugged some of our softest mounting tape underneath fine text and screen of a one-up job of the post above.Was way easier to achieve and the end result seemed to work better. One of the Supervisors wants to start using the softer tape straight away.I said let's wait until we get the worst of this job -which is 3 up and our heaviest primer laydown-so we can prove that it is better.Then we can start thinking about rolling this out.
Love this stuff!

Cheers
Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:18 am

Gorilla Printer wrote:So recently we have started a new print where the black lays over the top of a solid green which is in the station before the black. Stations can't be changed. What makes it worse is the job is a 3 up. The black has a solid on the left side and fine text with a screen on the right side The problem we were having is because of the black solid we were needing to squash to avoid pinholing , but that would cause picking and build upon the black text laying over the green.
It seemed like packing the three black solids was the best option.
But another printer came up with an idea of mounting hard mounting tape on the left-hand side of the 3 up plate and softer tape on the right.
We have been running this job like this for a month now and it works a treat.
Cheers

Gorilla

An update:
Recently some of the above jobs have been getting build up. Sometimes they are 2 ups on big cylinder sizes. the only fix that worked was actually going back to basics and packing the solids with two tapes(right side of the plate). And packing text with one tape (left side of the plate). The text with the screen is left unpacked (centre of the plate). Honestly so far, packing the plates this way beforehand seems to be the most effective option. I still believe using multiple mounting tapes is an option for some jobs but only when they work every time.

Thanks

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks, Gorilla. Good stuff.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby just Andy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 am

Gorilla[/quote]

Honestly so far, packing the plates this way beforehand seems to be the most effective option. I still believe using multiple mounting tapes is an option for some jobs but only when they work every time.

Thanks

Gorilla[/quote]

Hi Gorilla

Yeah that's right. Like sometimes when it's 6 across and 4 around, and the plates are already quite hammered, the eyemark/cutmark tends to pinhole even though there's extra impression. When the plates come to that age, instead of using 24 tiny squares of hard tape (which is possible, just not practical), packing it is just far faster and reliable.

I've found this sometimes and perhaps you might have experienced this: when you pack a section on the plate and run a long run or multiple runs, then one day the packing is removed but not replaced, the plate is much lower. I figure it's because the packing pushes the image area up and it gets pressed and compressed. Thus when a plate is packed, it must forever stay packed for the remainder of the plate's life.
For reference we use a tape that's about 90-110microns when I've gauged it.

Cheers
Andy
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:09 pm

just Andy wrote:
Re: heatgun... damn I wish I knew that earlier. That's a lot safer. More accurate too because the lighter is too hot so you always have to keep flicking it lightly.

Hi just Andy

Last night we had a crease in the mylar backing of a photopolymer plate. It was under a solid image area. One could clearly see it while printing. We decided to try the heat gun. This is both my and my Supervisor's first time.
We peeled back the plate partway on the mounting tape exposing the mylar crease. He gave the heat gun about three quick whisks across it and OMG it was gone. It was bloody magic -we were astounded. The crease in the mylar wasn't minor , it was a deep squiggly worm-like pattern -gone in 3 seconds flat literally. A dent in a plate would take 10 times longer.

Cheers

Gorilla
Last edited by Gorilla Printer on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorilla Printer

Postby Frank Burgos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:39 am

That is awesome, Gorilla stuff. Thanks
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby longtimefan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 am

Gorilla Printer wrote:Hi everyone
I'd like to say a big thank you to @just Andy for taking the time to
pm this info regarding combination tapes -something our shop has only just started doing.
I hope others get inspired/encouraged as I have.

"Hi Gorilla

I always thought combination tapes was a standard thing because that was one of the first things I was taught and thus taught to my guys. We often have a job where there is some odd shape or section that requires a combination tape. Just a few tips that I've done that might help your mounters. This is particular where we have job with a big solid and only a tiny gap until the screens start.

[list=]Have the sleeve taped up with the primary tape of what you need.
Put the plate face down.
Outline the part of the screens or fine type with a marker.
Mount the plate in the correct direction, position and straightness (double check direction before all this effort is wasted).
Demount the plate. You will have made an impression with the marker.
Use a black or dark marker and re-draw the impression
Put the secondary mounting tape over the marker. If it's quite transparent (like Tesa's tape) you can still see it.
Cut out the shape you need
Peel out the primary tape and the secondary shape should fit in almost perfectly.[/list]

We had a job where all the variants had a 50% coverage solid and then the company logo (with screens) really close to the edge of the solid. To avoid excessive dot gain and filling in, this was the only way to go. The other way is to separate it and run it on two stations but I'm not using an entire station to print a spritz of ink.

I hope this helps your team
Cheers,
Andy"

Can you show pictures of the steps?

Having trouble wrapping my head around the part where you lay 2nd sticky back down
longtimefan

Postby just Andy » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:50 am

Hi longtimefan

Maybe I'll re-write it with less ambiguity:

(Your sleeve is already taped up with your primary tape)
Peel off the non-stick liner from your primary tape
Put a small patch/off-cut of the secondary mounting tape over the outline you made.
Now your secondary tape (do not remove the non-stick liner) should be sitting on top of the primary tape
Cut out the shape you need by tracing the markings you made earlier. You should be cutting through both the secondary, and primary tape.
Peel out the shape you cut out.
Peel away the primary tape from the shape you cut out.
Now you are left with your secondary tape cut into a shape that should fit in almost perfectly back onto the sleeve.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Andy
just Andy

Postby longtimefan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 am

OK..

So your going to have the marker transferred to the area in your plate

Then lay some tape on the plate around the marker outline.. then hoping you can see transferred maker thru the tape you just laid?

cut out the transferred out line.

So now you have a spot with tape for screen or solid and the actual sleeve on mounter has that area cut out already?
longtimefan

Postby Gorilla Printer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:24 pm

longtimefan wrote:OK..

So your going to have the marker transferred to the area in your plate

Then lay some tape on the plate around the marker outline.. then hoping you can see transferred maker thru the tape you just laid?

cut out the transferred out line.

So now you have a spot with tape for screen or solid and the actual sleeve on mounter has that area cut out already?

How about this?

An already mounted plate with an area that needs to be packed.
You peel/rollback the plate and put marker on the backside of the plate around the area you want to replace with some other tape.
Let the plate fall back into position and marker will be transferred to already laid tape.
Again, peel /roll back plate revealing transfer. Now I usually hold folded plate out of the way with some sellotape.
Now get a piece of new mounting tape with its backing still on and place it over the transferred image on the already laid mounting tape. You should see marker through new tape and backing. If not go over the transferred image with more pen.
Next step is to hold the new tape firmly in position while you cut the image out through both tapes (Using a scalpel is ideal)
Pull out cut out of already laid tape, take off backing and plug-in with the second tape.
Practice makes perfect, it doesn't take long. Sometimes you might have to cut a sliver off tape edge so the new tape sits properly.

Lately, I have been going back to basics and packing solids with two layers off masking tape.

I hope this explanation helps.

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Dano77 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:16 am

If we have a smashed/low spot on a plate (solid, not type) we clean the plate then wet the area with type wash (solvent). It makes that area swell up and fill in. Its just a temporary fix until we can get a new plate which usually takes an hour.
Dano77

Postby just Andy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 am

Just to add on to Dano77

By solvent, I would say it's best working with a ketone (MEK, acetone, etc.). Basically any strong solvent that will certainly swell up rubber and photopolymer. As a test, take an old plate and knock pellet or something small into it and re-swell it. It normally does the trick and if not, a packing underneath may also help.

The way we do it is dip a rag in the solvent and rub it around the affected area. Be careful and keep it moving, if you press and hold, it will imprint the pattern of the weave of the rag. And in my experience, don't do this for more than 2-4 minutes, depending on the age, condition, thickness, etc. of the plate and severity of the damage.

Cheers
Andy
just Andy

Previous

Return to Pressroom