Ingenius innovations

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: Ingenius innovations

Postby longtimefan » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Gorilla Printer wrote:
just Andy wrote: Just to reiterate, I mean cut with a blade/scalpel, not with scissors. If you place two tapes on top of each other and cut through both of them, the gap will be tiny.

Thanks, I was actually using a Stanley knife. Will have to find my scalpel, haven't used it in years
:eek:

Gorilla
I've used this and it's awesome..

The blade is the best part..stays sharp for ever.
https://www.michaels.com/3m-scotch-util ... gIojfD_BwE

These are also nice

https://m.banggood.com/Raitool-DT05-16p ... gLGVfD_BwE
longtimefan

Postby Gorilla Printer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 am

longtimefan wrote:I've used this and it's awesome..

The blade is the best part..stays sharp for ever.
https://www.michaels.com/3m-scotch-util ... gIojfD_BwE

These are also nice

https://m.banggood.com/Raitool-DT05-16p ... gLGVfD_BwE

Thanks longtimefan
But I found my scalpel and yesterday plugged some of our softest mounting tape underneath fine text and screen of a one-up job of the post above.Was way easier to achieve and the end result seemed to work better. One of the Supervisors wants to start using the softer tape straight away.I said let's wait until we get the worst of this job -which is 3 up and our heaviest primer laydown-so we can prove that it is better.Then we can start thinking about rolling this out.
Love this stuff!

Cheers
Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:18 am

Gorilla Printer wrote:So recently we have started a new print where the black lays over the top of a solid green which is in the station before the black. Stations can't be changed. What makes it worse is the job is a 3 up. The black has a solid on the left side and fine text with a screen on the right side The problem we were having is because of the black solid we were needing to squash to avoid pinholing , but that would cause picking and build upon the black text laying over the green.
It seemed like packing the three black solids was the best option.
But another printer came up with an idea of mounting hard mounting tape on the left-hand side of the 3 up plate and softer tape on the right.
We have been running this job like this for a month now and it works a treat.
Cheers

Gorilla

An update:
Recently some of the above jobs have been getting build up. Sometimes they are 2 ups on big cylinder sizes. the only fix that worked was actually going back to basics and packing the solids with two tapes(right side of the plate). And packing text with one tape (left side of the plate). The text with the screen is left unpacked (centre of the plate). Honestly so far, packing the plates this way beforehand seems to be the most effective option. I still believe using multiple mounting tapes is an option for some jobs but only when they work every time.

Thanks

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 am

Thanks, Gorilla. Good stuff.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby just Andy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 am

Gorilla[/quote]

Honestly so far, packing the plates this way beforehand seems to be the most effective option. I still believe using multiple mounting tapes is an option for some jobs but only when they work every time.

Thanks

Gorilla[/quote]

Hi Gorilla

Yeah that's right. Like sometimes when it's 6 across and 4 around, and the plates are already quite hammered, the eyemark/cutmark tends to pinhole even though there's extra impression. When the plates come to that age, instead of using 24 tiny squares of hard tape (which is possible, just not practical), packing it is just far faster and reliable.

I've found this sometimes and perhaps you might have experienced this: when you pack a section on the plate and run a long run or multiple runs, then one day the packing is removed but not replaced, the plate is much lower. I figure it's because the packing pushes the image area up and it gets pressed and compressed. Thus when a plate is packed, it must forever stay packed for the remainder of the plate's life.
For reference we use a tape that's about 90-110microns when I've gauged it.

Cheers
Andy
just Andy

Postby Gorilla Printer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:09 pm

just Andy wrote:
Re: heatgun... damn I wish I knew that earlier. That's a lot safer. More accurate too because the lighter is too hot so you always have to keep flicking it lightly.

Hi just Andy

Last night we had a crease in the mylar backing of a photopolymer plate. It was under a solid image area. One could clearly see it while printing. We decided to try the heat gun. This is both my and my Supervisor's first time .
We peeled back the plate partway on the mounting tape exposing the crease. He gave the heat gun about three quick whisks across the crease and OMG it was gone. It was bloody magic -we were astounded. This crease in the mylar wasn't minor , it was a deep squiggly worm-like pattern -gone in 3 seconds flat literally. A dent in a plate would take 10 times longer.

Cheers

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Previous

Return to Pressroom