KBA Flexotecnica EVO XD

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

KBA Flexotecnica EVO XD

Postby jamesteoh8177 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi there,

Anyone running this press at the moment?
My organisation is looking into acquiring this press.
Any comments...
Thanks in advance.
jamesteoh8177

Re: KBA Flexotecnica EVO XD

Postby gricey » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm

Hello James.
Yes I bought an EVO xd8 in 2016 and it was installed November and commissioned in February 17.
The print Unit is exceptional and is one of the best, if not the best print register i have ever seen.we are holding 2% dot and 0.1mm registration at 400mpm.
There are some down side to watch for. Most of the issues are around the unwind and rewind areas. Both of which are fully automatic flying splices.(Note the Auto unwinds/ rewinds are not built by Flexotecnica which is a pity because these areas let the press down.
There have been issues with ink starvation,However we use heavy duty cup board which basically sucks the life out the ink chamber and absorbs it, so we need a lot down.
Ensure you have a good support package and extend the warranty. Support is good from Flexotecnica however they are a bit of a closed shop when it comes to the system support and do not share all their knowledge so you are totally reliant on them and this will come at a cost once the warranty expires.
If you need more info then ask.
Hope this helps.
Gricey
gricey

Postby longtimefan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:41 pm

gricey wrote:Hello James.
Yes I bought an EVO xd8 in 2016 and it was installed November and commissioned in February 17.
The print Unit is exceptional and is one of the best, if not the best print register i have ever seen.we are holding 2% dot and 0.1mm registration at 400mpm.
There are some down side to watch for. Most of the issues are around the unwind and rewind areas. Both of which are fully automatic flying splices.(Note the Auto unwinds/ rewinds are not built by Flexotecnica which is a pity because these areas let the press down.
There have been issues with ink starvation,However we use heavy duty cup board which basically sucks the life out the ink chamber and absorbs it, so we need a lot down.
Ensure you have a good support package and extend the warranty. Support is good from Flexotecnica however they are a bit of a closed shop when it comes to the system support and do not share all their knowledge so you are totally reliant on them and this will come at a cost once the warranty expires.
If you need more info then ask.
Hope this helps.
Gricey

The starving.. Does it happen in decks 1 to 5? How about 6 to 10? Don't laugh.. But I ran coffee cups and decks 1 to 5 always starved with full coverage... We moved to 6 and bam. Gone
Filtere clean, orings still in place. Filter housing tight? . Put a disposable glove (doctors glove type) over top of filter.. If it gets sucked in, missing o ring..

Hooks clean?
Water base? Touch foam

Whe. You see starving, stop... Open the chamber up, and close.. Do that 2 or 3 times and start back up..
longtimefan

Postby gricey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello Longtimefan
Yes we tried most of what you suggested (the glove is a good idea) Interesting that you seen starvation in the same areas as we are seeing it, decks 1 to 4,but it seems to be OK (less prominent) on the back decks, We had an anti swirl blade fitted (center baffle so the ink is slowed and dispersed) into deck 2 and realigned the chamber and spacing,Opened the feed pipes to the pumps to a slightly larger bore pipe and the starvation vanished. I'm still testing on deck 2 hopefully we've managed to cure it but if I have to go to anti swirl blades on all decks then that will cost large amounts of cash.
Thanks for your help with this.
gricey

Return to Pressroom