Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Re: What's your Flexo story?

Postby Gorilla Printer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:28 pm

:smile: Ok Frank,where can I purchase on of those T shirts :?: :smile:
Gorilla Printer

Postby Jon_S » Thu May 02, 2019 1:56 pm

brand new to the forum and glad i found it ...

i broke in to the flexo industry in 1987 and 2-roll kidders and rubber plates, got to be part of printing "The Dream Team" if any of you remember that and was fortunate to learn from Larry Schuppert (sp?) who was a guy who was pushing the limits of flexo early. I've spent most of my time in business development, film-making, converting ... some ink (aka chili cooking LOL) and found myself consulting to digital front-enders who are trying to solve the short-run dilmena in flexible packaging and also consult to international converters and interface between them and major international brands and pre-press firms focusing on fundamentals of fingerprinting and color control.

the short time i've been here tells me i wish i'd have found it earlier ... i'm reading through all the posts and picking up a lot of useful information. thanks to all of you who contribute ... looks like a great resource!!
Jon_S

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Glad you're with us, Jon. Looking forward to learning from you.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu May 02, 2019 2:11 pm

[quote="Gorilla Printer"]:smile: Ok Frank,where can I purchase on of those T shirts :?: :smile:[/quote]

I don't even know if they exist. A client sent that picture to me. It may be one of those things where you fill in the blank for career. In any case, I don't know.

Print one, dude!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby longtimefan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 am

Jon_S wrote:brand new to the forum and glad i found it ...

i broke in to the flexo industry in 1987 and 2-roll kidders and rubber plates, got to be part of printing "The Dream Team" if any of you remember that and was fortunate to learn from Larry Schuppert (sp?) who was a guy who was pushing the limits of flexo early. I've spent most of my time in business development, film-making, converting ... some ink (aka chili cooking LOL) and found myself consulting to digital front-enders who are trying to solve the short-run dilmena in flexible packaging and also consult to international converters and interface between them and major international brands and pre-press firms focusing on fundamentals of fingerprinting and color control.

the short time i've been here tells me i wish i'd have found it earlier ... i'm reading through all the posts and picking up a lot of useful information. thanks to all of you who contribute ... looks like a great resource!!

Kidder.. Yuk.. Lol

Ran one that had retro fitted blades and sort of drop trays.. But had toggle switches to move register ahead and back..

But another little older just a beast
longtimefan

Postby Frank Burgos » Fri May 03, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah. Kidder, Wolverine, old-school stuff. Running an old beast makes one appreciate running a little narrow-web with auto-register and all of that.

I have been printing wide web for about 15 years when a colleague of mine, also a pressman, quit for another job. He told me "Frank, you can pick up an anilox roller with one hand!" I could not imagine it.

When I first saw a narrow web press, I had to "rub my eyes" and knock myself on the side of the head like an old TV, so I could grasp what I was seeing.

Since then, I discovered something that gives many narrow web press folks and advantage over most wide web folks: The ability to experiment with rapid anilox roller changes when having color issues.

Of course, I am not a proponent of just changes roller mid-set-up. If that happens, something is usually not under control. Anilox geometries are optimized and standardized. If one of my operators changes rollers without following protocol and letting the system know something is off, we will have a conversation.

That said, my observation has been that most narrow web shops think that it's OK and expected for their operators to have the "skill" to determine whether a different anilox geometry should be used. Because of this, it is also my experience that narrow web folks tend to have a better feel than most wide web folks for how different aniloxes affect print.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi all
I found out last night that I have won a Gold Medal in our Pride in Print awards here in New Zealand.It's my first time entering too.I'm over the moon ,yet humbled and would like to thank Frank Burgos,the Flexo Exchange and all the flexo Brothers (and sisters) that frequent this awesome site.
This forum has been a part of my story and source of knowledge/inspirartion.

My heartfelt thanks to you all

Always loved Flexo and always will!

Gorilla
Gorilla Printer

Postby Frank Burgos » Sat May 04, 2019 9:00 am

Congratulations, Gorilla! Well done!!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby wdustin1 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:37 am

Congrats Gorilla, that is awesome! Well done!
wdustin1

Postby sharbel abdo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 am

hello everyone;
my Flexo story is like everyone mostly. I was searching for a solution at the time.
and I got hooked on the break room
Thank you Frank for helping me out many times.
thank you for everyone else also, valuable experience is being exchanged (and some humour too :) ).

Cheers
sharbel abdo

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks for sharing, Sharbel. You are most welcome.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Billyboy2 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

My story is pretty common too. Started questioning scenarios at the presses that some operators were having and I was looking for a solution. By google searching I landed on this great forum. I got hooked as I see posts that really relate to the printing we do in flexo and answers come from real press operators that have knowledge and experience in the industry... Haven't really posted much but I do get a good read on situations pressman had that I can relate to.
Billyboy2

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am

Awesome, Billyboy2.

Like you, there are lots of folks out there watching and reading but not necessarily posting. That's cool, too. Everyone has their own reasons for and ways to interact with this forum and everyone is welcome.

I don't always post responses, either! (this board needs a face-palm emoji)

Have a great day, everyone!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby InkSplatter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 am

I became an apprentice at 17 not knowing what I wanted to do as a job.
It turned out that I absolutely love being a printer, every aspect of it fascinates me.
I came to FlexoExchange because I wasn’t getting taught well at all (opened my first account in 2012… closed the email account). My trainer basically taught me to set up with gauges and that was it. Nothing about setting a kiss impression or anything.
I found this place and have been improving ever since and even became a production supervisor. The press operator the has been here 25 years now comes to me for advice and I’m half his age.

The one thing I have noticed in the trade in that a lot of people horde information, whilst I and I think everyone here are the opposite!

Been in this work for 11 years and I can’t wait to see what the next 11 bring!

I was under another user “HafMan” so for all that helped me, I thank you.
I also thank Frank for everything he’s done on the forum!
InkSplatter

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:08 am

Awesome story, InkSplatter. Thank you for sharing it. Thanks, also, for the kind words. I can't express how deeply I appreciate them and the kind words of others over time. It's been my privilege and honor.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Pressroom