Set-Up Footage ...

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Set-Up Footage ...

Postby Jon_S » Thu May 02, 2019 12:04 pm

What is your experience for what would be considered an industry avg. vs. the normally stated expectations from Press OEM's ... on an 8/10 color job?
- SetUp Footage?
- Complete Changeover Time?
- At what point is Wide-Web/Mid-Web (52 - 65) become stressed on MOQ (order size)?

I understand there are many variables to consider but just trying to gauge a typical rule of thumb.

New to the board, thank you and already finding some very valuable information and content ...
Jon_S

Re: Set-Up Footage ...

Postby longtimefan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:35 am

Older press? Or drag n drop register?

If older maybe 3000 ft to get a 10 color imp set and registered.

If drag n drop register could be under 1500..

If auto imp and drag n. Drop under 600
longtimefan

Postby Jon_S » Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am

thanks so much for your response ... your answer falls within the realm of what i'd thought. Very much appreciated ...
Jon_S

Postby Frank Burgos » Fri May 03, 2019 3:39 pm

longtimefan's numbers look sensible to me. And, yes, there is great variability.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby donaldwal » Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 pm

3000 feet sounds about right for 6 plus color job set up..... You have to figure in impression, registration die registration and most importantly color match any other hoop you have to jump threw in the process. Sheeted, fanfolded, delam print on the back et ect ect
...To me if I come 3000 or under I`ve done well....
donaldwal

Postby wdustin1 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:24 pm

We have always used 250 feet per station plus 250 feet for the die register. So for a 10 color job a good setup would be considered 2750 feet or under. of course the goal is to be way under!!! We have Mark Andy 2200 presses so no auto register or anything fancy.
wdustin1

Postby Frank Burgos » Thu May 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I would like to add one thing, guys. True story:

I was conducting a bunch of fingerprints with a client. 24 different product constructions (substrate+coating, etc.) on a Profiteer and 23 constructions on a 7" Webtron. 47 fingerprints and characterizations. Busy.

One day, the operator of the profiteer was out due to illness. I asked the owner if I could teach the pan guy how to set up the job we had planned to set up. He ok'd it.

He had never made on setting on the press; just cleaned parts. The job was 4-color process + 6 spot colors + lamination. No auto-register. I didn't touch the press. I instructed him.

We set the job up, in register, to color, in 240 feet; a butt roll.

It can be done on a Mark Andy, too. The main trick was that I don't run the press while setting impress or registration. I jog a few inches, adjust, repeat. Most of you know what I mean.

The technique works. However, everywhere I go, the operators hit "run" and start setting impress, registration adjusting, etc. I guess it's habit or not feeling the pain of material cost.

Anyway, since folks do it that way, I agree with 3,000. It can be done with much less, but it's not the norm.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby donaldwal » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:01 pm

I think you misunderstood me on the 3000 foot set up as being the norm Frank …. For a new job perhaps with color match and what ever special things are required... A job that's a normal rerun well under a Grand should be the norm excluding special conditions... Personally if Im assigned a 200,000 thousand foot job Im not secure if I go over 10,000 foot total on usage including set up. Im allotted 20 percent over which incudes the customary 10 percent over and waste... Setting up a 7 color job under say 500 hundred foot always just seems …..
A goal everyone should have but using more doesn`t make one a chimp amongst Lions
donaldwal

Postby Frank Burgos » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 am

Hi donaldwal,

Thanks for clarifying, but I don't think I took it as the norm you're thinking. I meant that setting up with much less than 3,000 feet is not the norm. What I did with that guy is not the norm.

Set-up waste can be influenced by many factors, unique to every environment and every job. Press condition, registration controls, tooling, etc., all factor in.

Happy Father's Day!
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Return to Pressroom