Printing on Silicone coated paper

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Printing on Silicone coated paper

Postby Ali » Fri May 31, 2019 1:39 pm

I was wondering are there any special inks that allow for printing on a silicone coated paper. We are exploring doing linerless label with printed elements on both sides of the label. Has anyone done this before? this is a job with two colors in front and one color on the back of the label, so we should print one color on the silicone coated side of the linerless paper.

Your help is much appriciated

Thanks
Ali

Re: Printing on Silicone coated paper

Postby Leadpress » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Ali, the only thing that I can think of is putting it through the corona treater as you're printing. Don't use scuff resistant inks, as they contain silicone in them as well. You're substrate will reject the ink. Use regular UV Inks. What colors?
Leadpress

Postby Leadpress » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:15 pm

You may have to lay down a primer first, before you lay down your inks also.
Leadpress

Postby Fuzz » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 am

Wouldn't you want to start with non- silicone paper, print the black ink, then add a release coating?
Fuzz

Postby Ali » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:28 pm

the front colors are black and yellow. The back color is just black.
Regarding priming it, I think primer will not stick to the silicone coated surface of the paper, so that is not going to work.
Using Corona might help but I am not sure, I have to test it when I get a chance.

We have thought of printing on plain paper and then coating it with silicone and then turning the paper and printing the other side and colors and then coat with a layer of glue.
but I am not sure do we have any silicone that can be cured by UV light or not, since we have to use one of our flexo units to apply the silicone to the paper.
Ali

Postby Gory » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 am

As a generalization, ink will not stick to siliconized coatings, furthermore, even if adhesion were not important, reticulation will be extreme. The surface tension of silicone is so low that the ink will bead on the surface, much as water will bead on a waxed car, this is not conducive to print quality.
I assume you have an ink proofing method in order to color match, which correlates somewhat to the press - use this method to apply ink to the surface you want to print and evaluate the results.
Gory

Postby dkelley » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm

To do this I believe would require extensive R&D testing. I would think you would need to print on pressure sensitive material then apply the silicone. At the last step before rewinding you would need to remove the liner and self wind this roll.
Bluestar makes some great silicone that can be applied flexo. The key to this is finding the correct adhesive material and the correct silicone.
dkelley

Postby Ali » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 pm

Thanks guys for all the great advice.
Your ideas are much appreciated.
Ali

Return to Pressroom