Harper vx. Praxair

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Harper vx. Praxair

Postby Shawn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:10 pm

I have used both Harper Platinum and Praxair anilox rolls... The biggest difference I have seen is that Harper rolls seem to clean easier...I use 3 bcm rolls for my spots and 1.5 for process and have had success with both...

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter??? Is Harper worth the 30% more money? if so, why?
Shawn

Re: Harper vx. Praxair

Postby Mike Howard » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 am

I think you might have answered your own question, 30% is a pretty steep upcharge especially if you buy a good deal of rolls per year. I should mention that I might be a little biased on this as AAA Press is the largest distributor of Praxair anilox rolls in North America.
Last edited by Mike Howard on Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,

Mike Howard
AAA Press Intl.
847.814.1160Mobile
mike.howard@aaapress.com
http://www.aaapress.com
Mike Howard

Postby Jeff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm

I have used Harper, Praxair, and am now using Interflex. I have been in this business for 20 years and still have not found any "wonder" anilox. I seem to feel they are all about equal in performance. I seem to get good life out of them all, they seem to all clean up alike so I go for the price.
Jeff

Postby bradkeys » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:47 pm

I feel the Harper and Praxair are booth good rolls but I have found that the Harper rolls wear much better. I evaluated 2 rolls, 1 roll from each supplier, with the exact line and bcm. The rolls were used on the same press with the same operators and ran the same ink, etc. Overall the Harper wore longer with less volume loss. I would agree with you that the Harper rolls clean up easier. Another difference I see is that Harper has tons of resources that you can tap into with their technical staff. They can help you with many different problems not just anilox rolls. If you are paying 30% more you need to discuss this with your sales rep and work on that end of it, overall Harper rolls and staff exceed anything I have found. Nothing against Praxair or any other roll supplier but there is a reason that Harper is the world leader in anilox rolls.
bradkeys

Postby Taylor1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 pm

I think that Harper are definetly more accurate with their volumes, what I mean is that you will see more consistancy in those of the same configuration, on two occasions when new Praxair rolls have been ordered for a new press I could not believe that the same size rolls could be so far apart in color strength and lay down, there is always going to be a slight difference from roll to roll but this was unacceptable.
Taylor1

Postby Old_Radio_Man » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:24 am

Just to throw something into the Harper / Praxair discussion, what does anyone think about either of them versus CTS?
Old_Radio_Man

Postby johnnyflips » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:52 pm

It depends on what you want. For instance, to some people it's not worth the extra money to buy a Mercedes when you could have two Kia's for the same price. However, if the Mercedes will outlast both Kia's doesn't it justify the price?? Where does CTS fit in to the equation with price and quality??
johnnyflips

Postby ely » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Want to refresh this topic as thing can change over the years.

Please share your experience Harper vs. Praxair
Customer service, Quality, Tech support.
And any other experience you came across with them.

Thanks,
ely

Postby RedsInABox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 am

Cannot distinguish Harper to Praxair but we use both Harper and Pamarco and have noticed that Harper is significantly better in providing more ink than Pamarco. They also seem to wear nicely. Ordering higher line aniloxes from Harper always shocks us when they go to press and we're pushing higher densities on cyan and black process work. Of course this is a mix of plate material, ink composition and substrate but it still seems to be anilox selection that distinguishes color to dot perfection the most.
RedsInABox

Return to Pressroom