X-rite Colour Quality 5.0 tutorial

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo prepress environment.

Moderator: Frank Burgos

X-rite Colour Quality 5.0 tutorial

Postby kusho » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 am

Hi, anyone know where i can get a tutorial/guide or tips on how to accurately use a X-rite Colour Quality program when colour matching a plastic film sample? I know most of the basic but it the extra twist that i need to learn. Most of the time i look at the plot on the axis and the LAB C H figure to help me determine what need to be add into my ink. But there is time that it really confuse to understand, for example, some time the program told me that i need to add more red in order to move toward the center but in my ink formula, there only yellow cyan and black. By adding any kind of red, i know it will stuff up my colour for sure. And knowledge that anyone can share will be greatly appreciated. Brainstorm is power :smile:
kusho

Re: X-rite Colour Quality 5.0 tutorial

Postby inkman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 am

A tutorial probably exists, but I've not seen it. There are subtleties to using an X-Rite that you may not get in a tutorial. You have to know how to interpret what a spectrophotometer is telling you to make best use of it. Many times that requires that you already know color matching and how toners move color.

For example, if you are matching a green and the X-Rite tells you to add orange to get to the cross-hairs, what it is really telling you is that you need to go "dirtier" (orange is a complementary color to green) by adding black. But then, there is still the possibility you really do need to add orange. If it is a first time color match, then you may need to consider both options. If it is a pre-formulated match, and there is already black in the formula, you may simply need to add a little more. Adding toner that is closer in shade to the target color will keep you "cleaner." Adding toner that is farther away from from the target color in shade will take the color match "dirtier." Understand, too, that there are degrees of color within a color hue, e.g. there are greener shades of blue and redder shades of blue. A redder shade of blue will make a "dirtier" green than a greener shade of blue.

X-Rite offers color matching software to go with some of their models that will spit out formulas for color matching and making adds. If you opt to buy it, and it ain't cheap, you make a file of your toners by loading them in at different concentrations and work from the resulting suggested formulas for each match. Some ink companies offer access to their data base using their software and your X-Rite hardware.

Unfortunately for some, being a good color matcher requires practice and experience, even with an X-Rite. :?
inkman

Postby Frank Burgos » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 am

Great answer, inkman. Thanks. I agree 100%.

Frank
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby inkman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:45 pm

I probably need to add that most ink companies have a set of colors that they work from that rarely exceeds 12 toners. In most cases, if a color needs to go dirtier, black is the way to achieve dirt value. When you match colors, the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method is the preferred method. Rarely do you need more than three toners (including black) to match any one color.
inkman

Postby kusho » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Great tips :smile: i will keep that in mind when doing my color matching. thank for reply
kusho

Postby mladen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 pm

kusho wrote:Hi, anyone know where i can get a tutorial/guide or tips on how to accurately use a X-rite Colour Quality program when colour matching a plastic film sample? I know most of the basic but it the extra twist that i need to learn. Most of the time i look at the plot on the axis and the LAB C H figure to help me determine what need to be add into my ink. But there is time that it really confuse to understand, for example, some time the program told me that i need to add more red in order to move toward the center but in my ink formula, there only yellow cyan and black. By adding any kind of red, i know it will stuff up my colour for sure. And knowledge that anyone can share will be greatly appreciated. Brainstorm is power :smile:

Primarily, this program is used for storing references and control of the press to the time period. Correction module is only symbolic. Most common, CQ5 used in conjunction with the X-rite or Gretagmacbeth Ink formulation software that is much more precise. If the assortment of colors in the IF software is set up properly, delta E in the first pass is below 3
In the second pass with minimal corrections, delta E is below 1.5
Investment in the IF software, multiple is payable.
If you want I can send you CQ5 manual along with IF5, so you can see possibilities of this software .. Also you can find it on X*rite web site.

Mladen
mladen

Return to Prepress