Problems with Kodak Maxtone?

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

flexomonkey

Problems with Kodak Maxtone?

Post by flexomonkey »

Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem using Kodak Maxtone before? Every time we use Maxtone, we get similar results. When we talk to Kodak, they assure us this is an ink problem. When we talk to our ink supplier, they attribute it to anything and everything but inks...

For this particular job, we're using anilox 900, 2.4 BCM for the cyan, sticky back is 3M 1320, ink temp= 22 degrees C, press is running at 230 meters per minute. Our plate is Kodak Flexcel NX 1.14mm, ADV 01, maxtone 3x3.
IMG_4554.JPG
IMG_4554.JPG (1015.89 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
richflexo

Re: Problems with Kodak Maxtone?

Post by richflexo »

I hate to say this.... but I agree with Kodak! Hah...

I dont think your dot looks like that on plate. It is likely a press related issue, whether it is ink, tape, anilox etc.

I normally see bridging in highlights and it could just be a one off thing with the art or screen that you picked and a bunch of other stuff. If you haven't already already, try just putting that plate on a different cylinder and see if that station and ink is doing the same think. Then you could factor our the plate and start working out the differences in that station.

Good luck.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

Hi flexomonkey,

One thing I see everywhere I go is improper metering. I see it with "the best" operators and "the best" equipment.

Confirm that the surface of the aniloxes are dull, like satin. Often, operators over=pressure the blades which causes the blade to flex and the very tip of the blade to lift of the surface, allowing excess ink to "hydroplane"under the blade. Besides the obvious impact on densities, this results in ink building up on plate image shoulders, dot-bringing, and possibly what we see in your image.
flexomonkey

Post by flexomonkey »

Thanks, for your suggestions!!