What's your Flexo story?

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

What's your Flexo story?

Postby Gorilla Printer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:50 am

Hi all
Just wanted to ask:
Why did you join FlexoExchange?
What do you get from being a member of this forum?
Has it helped, and if so ,how?

So what's your Flexo story?
Share whatever you like

Cheers
Gorilla Printer

Re: What's your Flexo story?

Postby RedsInABox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:43 am

I'm not too versed in anything else other than printing and coincidentally it's something I enjoy and try to share my knowledge wherever possible. I have been looking for a good forum to help others troubleshoot in the pressroom or prepress as best I can. This place seems to be it.
RedsInABox

Postby donaldwal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Hello all I happened by Flexo Exchange quite accidently looking for an answer to an issue I was having at work. This board has provided me with many new ideas and solutions that help me out a great deal on the job... With this being said thank you Frank for creating this board and thank you to all my fellow Inkers for posting you ideas, solutions and problems. I myself have worked for the same flexo shop since 1987 after graduating high school. I started as a plate mounter moved up to a Webtron operator then to a Markandy then to an Aquaflex and after 32 years to a Nilpeter pretty boring career would you say :)
donaldwal

Postby Frank Burgos » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:59 am

Hi Guys,

I 'joined" FlexoExchange in 1997~ :)

The reason I created FlexoExchange, and The Break Room, was largely due to my frustration with gaining knowledge at the places I worked. Not one subscribed to an industry publication, for example.

So, I figured we'd have a place to "exchange" ideas and knowledge.

June 6 of this year makes 39 years that I have been a printer. To this day, I sometimes stare out back while on my deck and tell myself, "man, I am so lucky to be a printer."

I love being a printer. It's an honorable, exciting, interesting trade. If I did it all over again, I'd still be a printer.

Some of the presses I have operated:
W&H, Kidder, Wolverive, PCMC, Uteco, Carint, MA 2100, MA 2200, MA Scout, Comco Cadet, Comco Commander, Comco Proglide, Aquaflex, Webtron.

Thanks for all of your kind words and participation on this forum. I continue learn from all of you and I learn forward to learning more.

PS: Over the past couple of weeks, I have been tweaking out a few social media places for us! Please help me spread the word:

https://www.facebook.com/FlexoJobs/
https://twitter.com/FlexoJobs
https://www.facebook.com/FlexoExchange/
https://twitter.com/FlexoExchange
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Frank Burgos » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:01 am

Hey, Gorilla Printer!

19 years ago, I wrote an article about you!!!

http://www.flexoexchange.com/articles/gorillaprint.html
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Gorilla Printer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:44 pm

Frank Burgos wrote:Hey, Gorilla Printer!

19 years ago, I wrote an article about you!!!

http://www.flexoexchange.com/articles/gorillaprint.html

Hi Frank,you actually did.I joined this forum under another handle on Sat May 08, 2010.After reading your inspirational article above I went man this guy is writing about me and what I want to be lol.So playfully I decided to see if I could acquire the Gorilla Printer nickname .As you can see it worked and the rest is history

I struggled as an apprentice , all the other apprentices seemed to pick up printing faster .The printer I was first under just wanted me to be his lackey and not teach me anything.I found out later he actually boasted about it and said I was useless.A second printer I was under thought he was the bees knees and showed me near every inefficient way about going about everything.When I finally started to run a press myself I did everything he taught me while other printers use to laugh behind my back.I was woeful.
As you can gather it wasn't the best learning enviroment.

So I had to find my own ways of doing things which was sort of adopting what others did around me that I thought suited.
I've realised part of my make up is I don't learn anything without owning it so have to know the whys.Problem is ,this entails taking on more new information .I'd get myself mixed up.One of my Supervisors use to tell me "You are all work and no class".I worked hard to try keep up - sort of trying to prove my worth ,which is sad really.Hoping the experience factor would kick in.It didn't , I did learn some good basics though.

Only when I got my trade did I start learning.Deciding the number one priority was making quality print and as a tradesmen was not going to have build up,hickeys or squash.I made it my business in a childlike curious/playful way to get better in every aspect of Printing on my press.

Getting back to the apprentices,all of them didn't last and are not in the industry apart from two which aren't Gorilla's.I have a new term now just between me and a couple of bros which has a nice ring to it, "Black Belt ".Black belt print,black belt splice,black belt wash up,black belt set,black belt tensions etc...God help you
if you do anything inferior which causes unnecessary mucking around or downtime.You'll probably hear "Hey,none of that white belt Sh**!" "Stop behaving like a white belt!".As you can envision, it really makes one want to up their game.And thats the purpose - getting better

I am in a really good space with regards to printing now.And know there is more to learn and tweak.All I need to do is stay humble,have that curiousity,enjoy every moment and I will learn more.

So Frank ,thanks for Flexoexchange,your articles ,ugly flexo (I've read/watched them all) and even a few personal messages.Love your new quote "Flexo.It's not rocket science...it's harder!"
I'd like to also thank the members that have shared their knowledge over the years.I try to pay back as well - not that I know if it helps anyone?lol.

So,I guess that's part of my story?

Love Flexo

Cheers
Gorilla Printer

Postby Fuzz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 am

Thank you to all the veterans (and rookies) that participate in this forum. I have been in the business for 1,103,760,000 seconds. When I started I never would have guessed this is where I'd be today. It has been a great gig. I felt like a duck in water. But, to this day I pay homage to the veterans I watched and learned from. I remember the guys that showed me how to mount a plate and keep it stuck down. The guys that showed me how to tune a die and plate in, set a doctor blade. Trouble shoot! This forum has been a continuation of that learning process. I'm still learning tricks of the trade 18,396,000 minutes later. I couldn't have asked for a better find than this forum to keep me inspired, offer up tips to my fellow "Gorilla's", or "Black Belts", find information and fill in the holes in my knowledge base. Thanks to the industry for 12,775 days of challenges, failures, and successes. 35 years and counting!
Thanks to All!
Fuzz

Postby Frank Burgos » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:52 am

Thank you, Fuzz! You have been an awesome contributor to all of our knowledge for a long time. I deeply appreciate your knowledge and generosity with it.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby guy de cafmeyer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:09 am

I'm kind of new to Flexo Exchange . My history is that I was looking for a job after military service , was offered 3 jobs in the same week , and decided that the printing apprenticeship was the best option . Did quite well and eventually ran a few Flexible Packaging companies here in South Africa . 20 years ago a fellow printer and I opened a repro house , as we were constantly frustrated by poor flexo repro , and have really enjoyed a successful period since . . In South Africa we tend to keep as much knowledge to ourselves as possible , and this frustrated me . I trolled the web for a site that I could recommend to our clients , particularly newbies to the game , and came upon the Flexo Exchange . I enjoy the site , and the clients that have used it , have too . Also , it doesn't cost , and is easy to get onto , as well as use . I check in atleast once a week , and just by the way , would like to thank Frank , and all concerned , for their efforts in maintaining a really useful and enjoyable site . Cheers !
guy de cafmeyer

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:23 am

Thank you guy de cafmeyer. It's a privilege to provide this board to the industry.

A couple of years ago, I ran into some consultants from a different place, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, while I was also doing some consulting there, too. One of the guys asked me how much I billed my clients. I thought that was strange. Then he asked me whether I empowered my clients to continue to improve processes after I left. I said "yes."

He then told me that he and his team don't tell their clients anything. They keep it to themselves and the client then depends on them forever. I found that strange, too.

Some people share and others consider it strategic no too. I just do my thing and allow others to do theirs.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Leadpress » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm

I get alot out of this forum because I know I'm asking guys who know what they're talking about. I know I will always get a skilled answer. I became a pressman 26 years ago. My wife pulled some strings so they would hire me, cuz she thought I was hot.... been married since, Printing is my forte'; it's all I know.
Leadpress

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 am

This one's for you, hot one
Attachments
25299546_10213029558751571_6153468465010104698_n.jpg
25299546_10213029558751571_6153468465010104698_n.jpg (37.27 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Postby Leadpress » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:10 am

Frank Burgos; LOL! You're awesome bro!
Leadpress

Postby Frank Burgos » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:15 am

:smile: :wink:
Frank Burgos
Site Admin