procedure to matach an offset sample to Flexo in narrow web

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

sachpat79

procedure to matach an offset sample to Flexo in narrow web

Post by sachpat79 »

Can you explain me the procedure to match an offset sample on Flexo on narrow web with UV flexo.
I have being given an sample of offset & the customer wants to print it on narrow web flexo with UV inks.
We tried but we could not match. Tried changing different Anilox with varied volume of same specs. But still we could not achieve it.
The substrate is a coated paper.
I don't have much information other than this.
Can you guide with a proper procedure to try this once again.
barb

Re: procedure to matach an offset sample to Flexo in narrow

Post by barb »

When encountering such job that was earlier printed in offest/digital/gravure/etc, the only procedure is that you take the sample, give it to your prepress department and they need to adjust the design/prepress and make proof prints as long as the proof print is at least 90% close to the sample and then you make the plates and go to test print.

Eventually then you can do a little alterations on the press but in my case, I had my customers warned up-front that there will be differences due to different techniques and they were all happy with the closest but even better result. In my opinion, when you have such cases it's mostly about how you approach the customer. If you educate them and let them know what differences are possible and what can you do better - they'll be much happier with the result than to tell them 'no problem' and then fail to deliver even remotely close outcome.

If you need more help post the image of the original sample and your try of it.
Leadpress

Post by Leadpress »

Depending on the Substrates, like Barb mentioned, it's all about informing and educating the customer. There will never be a perfect match, especially when you're using two different printing techniques. You Should measure your colors with a densotometer or spechtrometer. Are they within range? If they are, explain to the customer that this should be acceptable. By the way, we don't know what the customer's pressman used in their inks to get the colors they did, so it's going to be a challenge. Alot of times, customers will add stuff to their inks to get them to match something, but the next pressman will have no idea what they did. You can have a Red, for example, that the customer brings with him and says; I want you to match this, but you have no Idea where he got that sample from or what was added to the ink to get that original color. My best answer would be what Barb suggested. Take it to your prepress department and have them work their magic; at the very least, it will be close, and you can go from there. Read the colors on the sample with a densotometer and compare them with your uv colors and see what the difference is. You might have to have inks formulated for certain anilox volumes after prepress makes plates for you.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

I recently assisted a client in becoming GMI certified in flexo and digital. The targets we aimed for were offset targets, ISO 12647-2. Usually, we aim for targets as per ISO 12647-6.

For this, we involved the ink supplier. We had a technician on site and he adjusted the ink until we hit the targets, as per ISO 12647-2. we shot for Lab values, not just densities.

So, get the ink supplier involved is my suggestion.
sachpat79

Post by sachpat79 »

Thanks Frank.
Thanks Lead press.
Will be initiating the test in next week.
Will take your considerations during the test.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

Wishing you success, sachpat79