Choosing an anilox for the white

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

AliceInFlexoland

Choosing an anilox for the white

Post by AliceInFlexoland »

Hi fellas,

I would like to ask your opinion on what to look out for when choosing the right anilox for the better result of white ink opacity?

We're using solvent based inks and currently our anilox for the white is 140lpcm 12cm3 and I'm not satisfied with the opacity. We do lots of laminating with metallized films and everything is just so weak and gray.
Also, I'm tired of giving up one spot color to be able to print 2x white for better coverage.

I'm thinking maybe I should search for something different than a standard hexa cells?

I appreciate your answers and experiences,
cheers!
longtimefan

Re: Choosing an anilox for the white

Post by longtimefan »

I have used 200 9.0 and worked pretty good.
Gorilla Printer

Post by Gorilla Printer »

I could be wrong but from my calculations your white anilox would be close to 360 LPI .Which would be light for our white lay down. Our standard aniloxes for white are 200 LPI .On some jobs we are contracted to use a 150.It's doable, but then all your colours need to be in an exact station spaced far away from the white, and you might need to slow press for drying.

Personally I don't mind a double bump so long as it doesn't affect the rest of the print.
If it ensures keeping a customer I am all for it

Mind you, we only print on plastic

Gorilla
sachpat79

Post by sachpat79 »

Now a days industry is targeting for good opacity with minimum of gsm coverage.
This is a big challenge with the conventional Anilox. On the other hand cleaning and maintaining the anilox life is very difficult.
You can try a GTT Flex 9 Anilox from Apex which over comes the conventional screen anilox in all of the above tasks mentioned above.
On above these you can use special surface screening pattern on the plate to boost the opacity.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

sachpat79 wrote:Now a days industry is targeting for good opacity with minimum of gsm coverage.
This is a big challenge with the conventional Anilox. On the other hand cleaning and maintaining the anilox life is very difficult.
You can try a GTT Flex 9 Anilox from Apex which over comes the conventional screen anilox in all of the above tasks mentioned above.
On above these you can use special surface screening pattern on the plate to boost the opacity.
Digcap?
Gory

Post by Gory »

Have you had this discussion with your ink vendor? Many have higher opacity whites available for the type of work you are describing.
alaa

Post by alaa »

the best anilox for white i used 100 lpi with volume 12