Keep inks cool

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

longtimefan

Keep inks cool

Post by longtimefan »

Work with solvent inks Wide web press. Currently not climate controlled and the ink system isn’t cooled

I have a few ideas using dry ice and a basin like a horse trough

Build a small enclosure and pipe in air con

Any ideas?
just Andy

Re: Keep inks cool

Post by just Andy »

Hi longtimefan

Why do you want to keep inks cool? For solvent evaporation issues? I've seen on a long-run with small coverage (and specifically CMYK inks) that when you open the lid after being closed for a long time, a misty cloud has formed in the ink pot. Pretty cool.

If you're really trying to do the horse trough - why dry ice? Don't you already have a chiller line in the plant?
And instead of a trough (imagine if you're solvent based and guys drop some water into the ink!) - you could have a spiral pipe of chilled water wrapped around the ink pot.

Or most alternatively, I think there are heat-exchangers made specifically for managing the temperature of inks.

Cheers
Andy
dkelley

Post by dkelley »

Vortex Cooling Tube by Exair.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

just Andy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am Hi longtimefan

Why do you want to keep inks cool? For solvent evaporation issues? I've seen on a long-run with small coverage (and specifically CMYK inks) that when you open the lid after being closed for a long time, a misty cloud has formed in the ink pot. Pretty cool.

If you're really trying to do the horse trough - why dry ice? Don't you already have a chiller line in the plant?
And instead of a trough (imagine if you're solvent based and guys drop some water into the ink!) - you could have a spiral pipe of chilled water wrapped around the ink pot.

Or most alternatively, I think there are heat-exchangers made specifically for managing the temperature of inks.

Cheers
Andy
Gets over 90 and I have seen inks get 95

Inks should only be 70 to 80
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

dkelley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:41 am Vortex Cooling Tube by Exair.
Tell me more

Air blows on the buckets?
IMG_3574.jpeg
IMG_3574.jpeg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 415 times
IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3573.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 415 times
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

just Andy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am Hi longtimefan

Cheers
Andy
Yes ink and solvent and water no good I agree. Just an option

We have a chiller and that is an option

Basically I want a fast fix now while get the permanent installed ( that should be in 2 months)
just Andy

Post by just Andy »

Hi longtimefan

Okay I see your setup.

If you want a quick fix until your permanent solution comes: get a thin flexible hose, work off a nearby chilled water line and wrap it around your ink pot. If 1 works, then T off 7 more. Something like this could be done and tested in a day. The team's not going to like job changes by constantly needing to remove ink drums and re-wrapping it. Or run lanes of pipe under your pots where it's already sitting in a trough. Not sure how effective it will be.

Just thinking but I doubt an industrial fan will work. Plus explosion-proof rating... But we had a brake unit fan fail on another machine's unwinding unit and temporarily we put an airline blowing constantly into the brakes for a few hours.

If you do the chilled water, put the shut-off valve nearby in a height accessible location! (we had a flexible airline burst and the nearest valve required a ladder to get to, very noise few minutes!).

Hope you find a solution.
Andy
tclayton

Post by tclayton »

I would be hesitant of the dry ice technique. You may run into viscosity issues if ink gets "too cool". For a short term fix, I might place a portable AC unit near it and direct cool air to the inks. Ive seen several plants where they stick these next to a plant cubicle desk just to have a zone of cooler air. This would buy you time until you implement climate control.