Die cutting and stripping thick adhesive

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

Die cutting and stripping thick adhesive

Postby wdustin1 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:41 am

Hey guys! I have an upcoming project and we are going to be making some labels that need to be ultra-durable outdoor labels. The surface they are going to be applied to is a really difficult one so the adhesive is 6 mil's thick and the material is a type of vinyl. We have MA 2200's in our shop, I was wondering if anybody has had any experience in cutting and stripping a label with that type of adhesive on it. I know my 15 years in the business I never have! just looking for advice on this.
wdustin1

Re: Die cutting and stripping thick adhesive

Postby dkelley » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:45 am

With 6 mils of adhesive you will most likely have adhesive whip back onto the label. You can try having the die coated with an anti adhesive coating (ROTO REPEL) and stripping the matrix directly off the die.
Good luck.
DK-
dkelley

Re: Die cutting and stripping thick adhesive

Postby iteachflexo » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:46 pm

There is a lot to consider if this is an outdoor label. Are you overlaminating or UV clear coat? Are inks automotive grade for at least 3 to 5 year to resist fading? What is the thickness of the vinyl? What is the thickness of the liner? Are you using an old die? I would highly recommend testing the die on the vinyl before doing a complete setup.
If this is a new die, have your die manufacture teflon coat it.
iteachflexo

Return to Pressroom