Ghosting

Ask or answer questions related to the flexo pressroom environment

Moderator: Frank Burgos

longtimefan

Ghosting

Post by longtimefan »

What is best way to cure ghosting from a wide webflexo press? Considering impression and anilox settings are perfect

Heavier anilox? We use those channel anilox. What if we went to a true cell anilox?

Mounting tape?

Diff solvent blend?

Can a digicap plate help?

What about a itr laser engraving sleeve? Help at all
Last edited by longtimefan on Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Re: Ghosting

Post by Frank Burgos »

I would experiment with volume and/or viscosity, with the idea being "how can I get those cells to replenish more completely for the next impression?"

If I get lucky, while I may step away from volumes and viscosity standards I have established, I can manage them as exceptions. as long as my job spec sheets specify volume and viscosity, I'm good to go for future runs.

If specs change, include the rest of the team, including prepress, if warranted. Ensure that all docs referring to specs are current.

I searched "ghosting", here, and found various posts on it.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

Already went from a large channel with 5.5 to a xl channel at a 7.0 and that helped. But this print has some fine type, anything heavier I think will make the type to dirty.

We ha e those 3rd blades, but don't seem to help at all
Frank Burgos
Site Admin

Post by Frank Burgos »

Have you played with viscosity? I know it's not the best, but maybe in this case.
Printerman513

Post by Printerman513 »

from experience I've tried everything to prevent this problem especially with metallic blends. interestingly we found a type of plastic blade from flexo concepts with a type of silicone coating that completely eliminated this defect. I'm talking ghosting with fresh ink after 500' with anything else. try a different type of blade?
jezici

Post by jezici »

If you need a fast solution you can try to use worn blades. We always have few sets of blades that we use for 30000-40000 meters then clean them and save them for when we print large solids that have tendency to ghost. Usually that decreases ghosting about 80-90%. Also when we print large solids we try to use slow solvents like N-propil acetate (10-15% max because it can damage the plate) and etoxy propanol. In this cases we are adding minimal quantity of etanol.
longtimefan

Post by longtimefan »

Printerman513 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:01 am from experience I've tried everything to prevent this problem especially with metallic blends. interestingly we found a type of plastic blade from flexo concepts with a type of silicone coating that completely eliminated this defect. I'm talking ghosting with fresh ink after 500' with anything else. try a different type of blade?
Will reach out to our Dr blade people
guy de cafmeyer

Post by guy de cafmeyer »

I would also try a softer plate type .
It could also be linked to the ink volume being applied to the previous colour ( anilox too heavy )
Go coarser screen but with same volume on the colour that is ghosting ?